Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Jobs?
- - By wes eitel (*) Date 12-31-2008 01:59
ok, I know I'm posting asking a TON of questions, but I am taking all of the information you fella's give me in.

I'm in the houston area, currently have no vehicle. Are there ANY or manufacturers that work with people trying to get on as a Welders Helper (Think it'd be the best route fresh out of trade school).  Everyone I call or talk to says I MUST have a vehicle. I can't get a vehicle if I don't have a job. No other way at the moment. I'd only be truck-less for a month tops. Any advice or help would be great. Thanks in advance

Wes
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 12-31-2008 03:00
Wes, my suggestion is try and get a job real close to your house . You could walk to work and save that $ . When the coffee can is full , go purchase some wheels ... and then try for a welding job . I don't mean anything bad , but  if you have no wheels ... chances are you won't get hired . Because that means the boss will have to come and pick you up for work EVERY DAY . I understand your problem ... but you can't run until you crawl and then walk . You know what I'm sayin' ?  Just my two cents .
Parent - - By wes eitel (*) Date 12-31-2008 03:05
gotcha...thx
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 12-31-2008 03:10
My first rig was  a VW bug with a trailer hitch and my miller was on a single axle trailer and a small set of bottles . Yea , I know , HA HA . But it made me money ... and I graduated to better equipment and in to a truck . I worked on the weekends for a local farmer as trade for the ole' miller and trailer .
Parent - - By wes eitel (*) Date 12-31-2008 03:24
Sounds like how I use to be. Sold my truck (05 dodge 2500 cummins megacab). Was payed off, but mama needed the help. I was in school, so it was ok. Now I'm out and it's the "oh sh*t time. haha Screwed myself, but mama is good now atleast.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-31-2008 05:34
As dave has also mentioned there are lots of guys out there that have washed out so to speak in the industry and are willing to sell out for a song sad for them good for you. and if the price of oil keeps going down the way it is I suspect there will be more then one fancy welding rig for sale pennies on the dollar. If I was to offer any advice it would be to keep your over head low don't get roped into payments, do what you have to too get by untill you find the right deal and remember "Cash talks & bull **** walks".
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-31-2008 04:20
   Think really hard about this before You even consider this, for it may get You more problems than it solves... There are guys that have rig trucks but they have enough infractions that THEY are not allowed to drive them. If You can drive the rig it solves a big problem for them, but now You are associated with someone who may have a bad reputation on many levels, and just starting out You haven't any reputation of Your own, and may be considered a bad egg by association.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 12-31-2008 12:47
Wes,
where in Houston are you? I know allot of fab shops around Houston that might be looking for helpers.

Jim
Parent - - By wes eitel (*) Date 12-31-2008 17:29
On the south/south west side.
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 12-31-2008 19:45
I happen to just be putting one of my rigs on the market if you're interested. Completely rigged out 2002 Dodge Dually, 6 speed, 4x4, Quad Cab. SA 200 completely rebuilt. New paint, overhaul, new everything. Has 800 hrs. on it. 100 ft. stinger, 100 ft. ground, 100 ft. torch hose, tools.....everything. You can drive straight to the job. $20,000.00. I will have pictures this weekend.
Parent - - By tbone Date 12-31-2008 20:01
i would definetely be interested if you could post pics would like to see it.  Where you located any what tools besides machine go with the truck?
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 12-31-2008 23:30
tools are basic, but all are like new. Levels, tapes, jack stands, hammer, grinders, torch, guages....... located in Woodward, OK
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 12-31-2008 23:41
How many miles?
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 01-01-2009 04:22
55000 mi. on the engine
Parent - By bullsnbets (**) Date 01-01-2009 23:17
Pictures:
Attachment: 036.JPG (0B)
Attachment: 037.JPG (0B)
Attachment: 038.JPG (0B)
Attachment: 039.JPG (0B)
Attachment: 041.JPG (0B)
Attachment: 042.JPG (0B)
Attachment: 043.JPG (0B)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Jobs?