Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI RENEWAL
- - By GOOD POROSITY Date 01-02-2009 20:01
Hi everybody, I ve been around welding since  the age of 12 or 13 .( 53 now) Never liked it cause my dad forced me to help the workers in his machine shop in Central America, eventually I moved to the US, and worked my way up til I became a tube welder (mirror welder), traveled overseas with Foster Wheeler, for different welding jobs etc,( now I enjoy welding ) then I took my CWI test in 1998 and passed it, I didnt take that one week course I just did home study. Because of personal problems I couldnt send my application, monies etc in time  to AWS for my CWI renewal, now I am in the grease, according to AWS I have to take all the tests again. Question: Is there any other way I can just renew my cert without taking the tests all over again?.................Q2:  By not renewing on time does it make me less knowledgeable according to AWS? or my welding experience  or knowledge was automatically deleted from my memory and it went down the drain ? and make me a welding neophyte? I keep on working in the welding business in Central America and sometimes is kinda difficult for me to travel back to the US, but please help me with this input,  and by the way   that "GOOD POROSITY" name is just to get you guys attention and I was thinking about swiss cheese not weldments. Thanks     a lot for any answer                         
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-03-2009 03:50
If you let your driver's license expire, you have to take your driver's test again. The CWI is no different. If you let it expire,  for whatever reason, you have to take the test again. It should be easier the second time around.

The rules are the same for everyone and they apply equally to everyone.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-03-2009 04:59
I've let mine drop 2x so have taken the test 3x. I haven't been told about a way to avoid it but wasn't really interested in it. By the time I looked at the cost and late fees, the whol exam was not much more so I took it.

I was warned by AWS that I could fail the 2nd test as opposed to just paying the late fee and test fee and just taking the 2 parts. I was amazed that the person thought I was getting dumber as I got older.

Id just go for the test. Your not getting any dumber as you get older! Its a pain because of travel but its done on a Saturday so you get a little weekend trip.
Parent - By GOOD POROSITY Date 01-03-2009 20:49
Thanks a lot for the input guys , guess thall give me a chance to hone into my inspection skills. By the way I am setting up a small welding school here in Central America, so Ill get that CWE cert also.     Roger
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI RENEWAL