Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Milky oil
- - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-04-2009 17:01
I have a mid 80s sa 200 . Oil was changed a about 4 working hours ago. Machine has sat for several months , in cold wet snowy weather. Now oil is milky. Im thinking maybe head gasket, but it is not getting hot and it runs great . Maybe just moisture build up from being uncovered in the weather? This is my first machine so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou
Parent - - By 4JWelding (**) Date 01-04-2009 17:41
Does the machine have adequate anti-freeze in it?  If not setting in the cold weather (below freezing) may have busted the block or head.  The machine will still run but it won't run for very long if used every day.  I would change the oil again and run it to see if it gets milky again. 
Parent - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-04-2009 18:58
yah there was sufficent antifreeze in it, that is what surprized me. If antifreeze was low , points more to head gasket.
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-04-2009 17:45
Have you changed the oil since it became milky and tried it again. I would really doubt that you could get any type of condensation in the motor maybe in the valve cover if it were very wet. Change the oil put about half a quart of atf in it acts like a detergent run it for an hour change it again and see what happens good luck. Don't run it long with the atf in there just for cleaning purposes.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 01-04-2009 17:50
could be condensation?
Parent - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-04-2009 18:58
Thats what i was wondering
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 01-04-2009 21:05
Run a compression test on it. You can also take a rad fluid sample to places and they'll do a test to see if there's exhaust in the rad fluid. I would also try changing the oil gain to see if there's anything in it. Does the exhaust smoke white alot?
Parent - - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-04-2009 23:01
Some white smoke comes out of the crankcase tube. Im not losing antifreeze, which is weird . Milky creamy oil though. Im leaning towards head gasket. What u think?
Parent - - By andrewsullivan9 (*) Date 01-05-2009 00:09
More than likely its a head gasket best to run a compression test first before you take the head off, then change the head gasket and bolts and put it back together
Parent - - By leon phelps (**) Date 01-05-2009 01:06
I am thinking condensation. Have had plenty of cases where water entered through the vent then eventually burned off.

Probably best to change oil then run it for a couple hours and see if it turns milky again.
Parent - - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-05-2009 01:20
Well that is what i was wondering. We had quite a bit of snow and alot of cold weather and the machine sat for a couple of months. Its not getting hot. Welding and running fine. Not losing coolant . Just milking oil. I have not blown a head gasket on a machine , but have on a car and u could see the green antifreeze on the dipstick. I dont know just brainstorming all of the opinions on this subject are greatly appreciated. thanks alot to everyone.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 01:38
i'm having some what of a similar problem but my oil is not milky but when i add oil to the machine there is a white mily build up on the bottom of the cap the breath tube makes sense and maybe thats whats my problem i have the same trouble with my other mind very mind boggling but like i said no mily oil hmmmmmmmmmmm
Parent - - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-05-2009 01:44
Same thing here white milky on the fill hole cap. And when it is running u pull that cap and it looks milky. In your opinion wouldnt u have antifreeze on the dipstick or be able to see the green in the oil if u blew the head gasket? I know u work on machines alot? Thanks for the info.
Parent - - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-05-2009 01:47
If the headgasket was blown wouldnt u be able to see the green antifreeze on the dipstick or in the oil? Last post got messed up. Thanks
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 01:49
i work on my own machines dont do alot for others dont want the head ache or the blame if something else goes wrong lol
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 01:50
this is a good question for Kaye where is she when you really need her lol
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 01:48
there would be some anti freeze or mily oil on the stick but i have neither and just changes the antifreeze in both machines so i dont know if it was a head gasket seems to me there would be water coming out the exhaust as well so who knows it runs it welds run it til it quits and rebuild it i guess lol
Parent - - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-05-2009 01:56
My machine isnt getting hot. No low coolant. Welding like a scallded dog. Running fine . I think im gonna drop the oil , put in fresh and run her some more before i tear into it. Probably letting it sit for a few months in the snow and rain and cold weather without a cover was not a good idea. Wont do that again. thanks for the help raftergwelding.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 01:59
i been running the machine i have now for about 3 weeks before that it sat at the house he oil wasnt milky before i changed it when i loaded it and it dont get low on coolant so who knows it is due for an oil change but pushing it for a month now not alot of hours til last week when i tagged 101 for the week but it's black and needs to be done i know it needs it just never had a machine get the build up on the bottom of the cap you're welcome i just try and give back what i was given anything i can do to help
Parent - - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-05-2009 02:17
you still welding for cactus?
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 07:31
we just got done in shreveport gonna take some time off then back to brady
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-05-2009 03:29
Is there a posibility that raun/snow entered through the exhaust?
Do these machines have a bleed hole in the manifold that might be plugged up?

You can get the test reagent from NAPA to test for combustion gasses in the coolant.
Parent - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-05-2009 04:56
There is a flapper on top of the stack, but who knows it might of happened. I will have to look on the manifold for the bleeder im not sure. Thanks
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 07:29
theres not a bleed valve on the manifold only way to get water out of them is to start the machine or take the manifold off i'd start it but tand back after it kicks off
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 01-05-2009 20:55
Actualy thats pretty normal with older style engines especialy if keped outside in cold weather. When the engene warms up enough the moisture condinsation evaporates and colects under filler caps and such, As long as the oil dont turn white and or the oil level rises a bit everyday there is no problem.
  Tom
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 01-05-2009 21:41
That happens to my pretty new car as well.
If you run it regularly, but not long enough to get the oil hotter than the boiling point of water.

My wife drives around each day, but not more than 5 or 6 miles each way.  That's enough to get the engine warm, and the coolant hot, but not the oil.
After a month or so of that (especially in the winter), I get a mayonnaise like goop on the oil cap, and milky oil.
I've verified MANY times that there's not a gasket leak (both by compression tests, and by chemical tests of the oil AND coolant).

I drive it to work, and give the engine a minimum of 30 minutes of drive time (more is better), and the oil cap is clean, and the oil looks nice again.

Its easily fixed, but certainly not a good thing.  The water component reduces the lubricity of the oil, and increases the chances of corrosion.  Its quite hard on an engine.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 01-05-2009 03:25
Run your machine untill it's at operating temperature with the rad cap off.  Any bubbles or  pressure indicate a problem - compression gasses leaking into the coolant.    This means that when you shut her down you'll likely get coolant leaking back into the cylinder and into the base.

Pull the dipstick when the engine is cold and touch the oil to your tongue.  If there's antifreeze there you'll taste it.  Don't swallow!

I thing it's far more likely that you had some water leak into the base through the vent or exhaust. 

The best course of action right now is to change the oil and filter and run her.  See what happens.
Parent - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-05-2009 04:57
Thanks for your help i really appreicate it.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 01-05-2009 14:45
what is several months. I would change the oil and then recheck in a day or so. If its good then mark it up to condensation.
Parent - By djm1987 (**) Date 01-06-2009 14:09
Thanks for the help. I dropped the oil last night. It Wasnt too bad. I Think it is condenasate. It sat for 2 months , we got quite a bit of snow. Gonna run her hard today and see what happens. Thanks for all the help what a great site and forum.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Milky oil