Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT's
- - By DaveP66 (*) Date 12-06-2001 09:17
I am planning on getting my CWI in a few months. I wanted to jump into NDT's right after. Im guessing that it will make me more versitile as a inspector. About how long does it take to complete 1 or 2 levels of 2 different processes. I was looking at RT and Ultra sonics, Each with a level 1 or 2 for now.

As of now I am a structural welder in the navy with about 5 years exp. and am certified in A36 plate up to 3/4 all positions, and pipe 6inches + SCH 80. The reason im switching from welder to inspector is that the jobs seem dry around my area..and dont really pay what i need to get out of the navy.

David
Parent - By R. Johnson (**) Date 12-07-2001 19:24
Both RT and UT will require between 70 and 80 hours of classroom time (depends upon your education level). Experience will be 840 hours for UT and 1050 hours for UT. This is all based upon trying to obtain Level II in both methods. From a practical standpoint you will need at least one year of work experience to obtain Level II status. You will have to obtain the required experience within about a 3 year time frame.
Reveiw SNT-TC-1A 2001 edition for the latest published information.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT's