Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stainless Steel Substitutions
- - By thomas_1999 Date 12-06-2001 15:38
Historically, Every welder I talk to believes that its an upgrade to use 316 ss in place of 304, in both materials and filler wire.
What do you think and why?
Parent - - By - Date 12-06-2001 18:39
316S/Steel has Molybdenum (Mo) added to give it more pitting resistance than 304. As such it is usually a more expensive material. As Mo is a very strong ferrite stabiliser, some of the Cr is removed, and extra Ni added to keep the material austenitic. In many applications, it does not make a big difference which one of the two grades you use. There are some applications where the extra pitting resistance is absolutely essential. There are also some applications where the extra Mo and less Cr of the 316 makes it a "worse" material than the 304. (e.g. Nitric acid service.)

In short, I believe that many people think 316 is "superior" because it costs more, but as with just about all materials, you need the right one for the job. In some cases this will be 304 and in some cases 316. (In some applications C/Steel gives a much better service than any stainless steel, so which material is the better material?)

Regarding the fillers, the correct grade should be used for the particular application. Usually this means using 316 for welding 316 base metal, and 308 for welding 304 base metal. If you are using 304 because you need its particular properties, welding it with 316 would lead to an inferior joint.
Parent - By thomas_1999 Date 12-06-2001 23:35
I appreciate your prompt response and agree 100%.

The truth is as a Welding Inspector, I talk to a lot of welders either testing, training or in the field and the typical answer is 316 is an upgrade. There needs to be some extra training around this topic.

I have removed several fittings and sections of pipe over the years that easily prove the reasoning behind the Engineering & Design of SS systems through defects & failures. The caustics & acids mixed with high temperatures have a detrimental affect on components improperly chosen, substituted or improperly welded.
Thanks again
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stainless Steel Substitutions