Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Perkins vs Kubota
- - By RatherBHuntin (**) Date 01-06-2009 02:00
Hey guys. I have a question for someone who has experience welding both the Perkins and Kubota engines. I am looking to buy a Lincoln 300D and I was wondering if there is any difference in the welding performance. For example: the Perkins stacks more metal than the Kubota or the other way around. I know the custom arc is going to make some difference but I am just asking about the welding itself. Any help will be appreciated!
Parent - - By triplecwelder (*) Date 01-06-2009 02:27
I WELDED WITH A PERKINS FOR 6 YEARS AND I JUST BOUGHT A NEW KUBOTA AND I LIKE THE KUBOTA MUTCH MORE.THE KUBOTA STACKS WAY BETTER AND WELDS ALOT SMOOTHER THAN THE PERKINS DID. PERKINS AWAYS SEEMS SOUPY (LIKE ITS TO HOT) BUT IF YOU TURN DOWN THEN IT WAS TOO COLD. ONE THING I HAVE NOTICED IS THE KUBOTA SEEMS TO HAVE MORE RATTLIN WHICH IF YOU TAKE THE DOORS OFF THEN YOU ELIMINATE MOST OF THAT BUT I LIKE TO RUN MY MACHINES WITH THE DOORS ON,THEY PUT THEM ON THERE FOR A REASON. 
Parent - - By RatherBHuntin (**) Date 01-06-2009 02:41
Thanks, Triplecwelder, for all the information. I have found out a lot of really good information, the guys on this site are awesome. I have run a lot of Lincoln's with the Perkins but never the Kubota. Hey man, what did you think about the custom arc and does it do anything when you are welding 70/18?
Parent - - By triplecwelder (*) Date 01-06-2009 02:49 Edited 01-06-2009 02:58
YES THE ARC CONTROL IS NICE YOU CAN STACK A REAL NICE CAP ON PIPE BY TURNING IT DOWN TO ABOUT 2 ,BUT IVE FOUND WHEN RUNNING 7018 YOU HAVE TO SET IT ON ABOUT 8 OR 9 IT BASICLY JUST DIALS YOUR HEAT IN A LITTLE CLOSER. THE LOWER YOU HAVE IT THE COOLER THE ARC SEEMS YOU TURN IT UP IT SEEMS A LITTLE HOTTER.BUT MAKES A GREAT CAP RUNNING 5P+ OR 8010 ON PIPE.(OH YEAH ID RATHER BE HUNTIN ALSO)
Attachment: rigpictures016.JPG (966k)
Parent - By RatherBHuntin (**) Date 01-06-2009 03:05
SOUNDS SWEET!! The Kubota sounds like thats the way to go.
Thanks for the help.

Also, an old rig welder I know, just bought a red-d arc and he Loves it.
Does anyone have any experience with one?
I know it is pretty much a Lincoln. I just wanted to know if anyone had anything to say about it.
Parent - - By dsmtuner (*) Date 01-06-2009 05:01
triplecwelder, why are you yelling? 

I would go with a kabota. I dont care for the 300d with the perkins.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-06-2009 12:55 Edited 01-06-2009 12:58
OK, I'm a dummy and I have to ask the question, "Why would the choice of the engine affect the characteristics of the output if they are turning the same generator/alternator (i.e., the welder's guts)?"

Assuming both engines are the same horsepower, turning at the same RPM, I fail to see how the welder's arc characteristics would be different. Fuel consumption, maintenance, etc. could be expected to be different, but why would the arc characteristics differ?

As for the arc control, that is most likely varying the slope characteristics of the welder.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-06-2009 15:38
The arc control adjusts the high idle speed over a 150 rpm range.

JTMcC
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 01-06-2009 23:06
thats kinda what i was thinking
Parent - By hotrodtodd (**) Date 01-06-2009 13:41
its a little off the subject but the kubota has an added feature the perkins doesnt. The running light is also a diagnostic tool, if there are problems it will flash a sequence and you can look it up in the owners manual, its got several codes ranging from alt. belt loose to engine running too much over factory setting to name a few as examples
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 01-06-2009 19:38
tried and true.. I like the Perkins, but i just work on them I don't run the other end..
Parent - - By dsmtuner (*) Date 01-07-2009 03:22
I live in Idaho and I noticed the kabota seems to be better in colder weather.
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-07-2009 04:52
I have never had a problem with my perkins powered 300d machines the only machine with a kubota I have welded with was a vantange 300. I bought my last machine when I was working in Wyoming I ask about cold weather and they said they don't even stock the kubota because they had a hard time starting. Also I noticed that I used less fuel in my perkins powered 300d than the vantage with the kubota. But all in all the differences in my mind are so small go with what you trust and what you can get repaired the fastest if something goes wrong good luck.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 01-07-2009 22:11
I will say also the kubota is very cold blooded the don't start well  or run well in the cold! I don't believe the fuel economy is as good with them either.
Parent - - By RatherBHuntin (**) Date 01-08-2009 01:58
Hey guys. Thanks again for all you input.

Been living in Florida for 11 years don't get no cold weather here so not real worried about it running in the cold.
Went to work Monday and I think it was around 80 something degrees, sweating my tail off.

I know the Perkins is tried and true. But new isn't always bad.
Parent - By dsmtuner (*) Date 01-08-2009 02:47
I definately agree the perkins gets better economy during the winter.  We had a classic 300d(perkins)  and a vantage 300(kubota).  But I think the vantage fired up much easier on 0 degree mornings.  The perkins seemed to blow quite a bit of white smoke and stumble till it warmed up.  But I have no clue what these machines have been thru.  about 4k hours on them tho.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Perkins vs Kubota