Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Caustic Cracking 24" Carbon Steel Sch 80
- - By Easy638 (*) Date 12-07-2001 06:38
I would like any info on Caustic Cracking. How do I recognize it from other causes.The pipe I am working on is a Steam line 24" sch 80 Carbon Steel, their are cracks in the weld area pipe to fitting and in stright lenghts of pipe , all cracks run transversely with the pipe. Also I would like to say that the pipe does appear to be well supported. I am open minded and would love all info I can get on this subject.
Parent - By Kamaruzaman (*) Date 12-08-2001 14:02
How about your pipe and flange strength?
And what electrode did you apply?
Are that electrodes heated?
How about your preheat and ambient temperature while perfrom that weld?
Do you have enough supported jig?
Parent - - By - Date 12-08-2001 19:57
Caustic cracking is a type of Stress Corrosion Cracking. (SCC) It is prevalent in systems where high temperature caustic is in contact with carbon steel that has stresses in it.

Caustic SCC is very typical in steam systems where the boiler feed water treatment is not under proper control. In particular, where a lot of NaOH is around. Sometimes NaOH is added as PH control. Sometimes NaOH is formed in the dosing system through the reaction of other additives.

In carbon steel, caustic cracking is typically branched and intergranular.

This cracking would typically occur around welds, as these areas have high residual stresses.

You say that the cracks are running transversely to the pipe. Does this mean that the cracks are mostly associated with the but welds in the pipe? If so, this makes sense. If the cracking is away from a weld in the transverse direction, it sounds strange, because then the stresses causing the cracking should be the stresses induced by the pressure. As the highest applied stresses are hoop stresses, (Assuming the stresses are caused by pressure and not poor installation or supporting.) the cracks should generally run along the length of the pipe.

To identify the cracking as caustic cracking without a doubt, calls for some fancy analyses that can only really be done by a metallurgist. To identify it on a "balance of probabilities" basis is usually quite easy. If you have a number of the following, then it is almost certainly caustic cracking:

1)Cracking is very branched.
2)It is limited to areas of high stress. (e.g. Welds.)
3)There are other instances of similar cracking found elsewhere on the boiler. (especially on boiler feedwater pumps, if they are C/Steel and de-superheaters, if the boiler has these.)
4)Caustic is used in the water treatment regime, or is formed as part of this regime.

There are other possible cracking mechanisms in steam systems, so beware of just assuming it is caustic cracking.

I hope this helps.
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By Easy638 (*) Date 12-08-2001 20:17
What are some other possible cracking mechanisms in steam systems
Parent - By - Date 12-08-2001 20:32
Other possibilities are:

1)Fatigue / Thermal fatigue.
2)Corrosion fatigue.
3)SCC caused by species other than caustic. (e.g. Nitrates)

There are probably other possibilities, but I can't think of them now.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Caustic Cracking 24" Carbon Steel Sch 80