Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Please help me about automatic helmets decision
- - By navap Date 01-06-2009 16:17
Hello everybody,

Could you help me? I need to choose automatic helmets, in the past we used Fronius, but for savings we need to consider other alternative.

Can you suggest a good brand according your experience?

The use will be 8 hours/day in MAG process.

Thanks,

Paulina
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 01-06-2009 22:27
Mine is the "Miller Big Window Elite". It is about two years old and has worked fine. I think they changed the name of this model when they came out with the "Miller Digital Elite"

If I were to need to buy an autoshade hood today, I would buy this one (todays model, whatever the name).

HTH
Griff
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-11-2009 20:44
Paulina,

First of all, WELCOME to the forum.

Now, I personally use a Jackson three in one.  I like having the settings to lock the shade to a three or five for grinding and cutting so the lens isn't flicking from dark to light constantly as you try to use your hood for a face shield.  It also has adjustable settings for sensitivity, delay (the amount of time before lens goes to light after the arc stops), and darkness.

I have had three different Jackson hoods (that were all auto-dark) over the past 15 years, two of which I still use and the other is a shop back up hood.  The batteries last a good amount of time on standard AAA. 

There are several good hoods out there.  Just do a little research and ask your supplier for a demo.  One of my suppliers brought by a demo hood and left it for a couple of weeks so all the guys could try it for more than just a few seconds.  We bought nine all at once and he gave us a good discount.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-12-2009 03:12
There was a thread on auto dark hoods some time back that covered them comprehensively. You can do a search for it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Please help me about automatic helmets decision