Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / plasma cutters
- - By oldbikegirl Date 01-07-2009 04:59
Could anyone let me know about a Hobart Air Force 250ci which has a built-in air compressor?  I've used a Hypotherm Powermax 30 and I was wondering if the Hobart is as good as the Hypotherm.  Are there better brands with/without compressor?  Is there a difference in quality between the plasma cutters that have a built-in compressor vs. the ones that require a separate compressor?

I don't have a compressor or any other equipment right now and I want to make sure I'm not buying something that won't be up to the job.

Thanks!
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-07-2009 05:15
The next question everyone will ask what are you using it for.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-07-2009 12:42
I just bought the new Thermal Dynamics Drag-Gun with a built in compressor. It will cut up to 1/2 inch. It seems to work GREAT. Also, Thermal Dynamics is a leader in the plasma industry and parts are easy to get.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-07-2009 13:04
First, if you refer to this thread, it will be clear that you are talking about two different classes of machines.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?dln=25148;pid=80284#pid80284

Second, as JohnnyUtah says above. you need to state your intended use.

FWIW, I bought the PowerMax 30  and a cheap compressor (Briggs and Stratton 10gal. oil lube. 4.5 cfm at 125psi) and have been using it for about a year now, on sheet metal to 3/8" plate. Highly portable, excellent cutting, and very easy on consumables. (I added a filter/dryer). The Hobart Airforce 400 (comparable model) would be too heavy to hang on the compressor, as I did with the PM 30, to make it very portable.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / plasma cutters