Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / max fillet weld size
- - By hotwork (*) Date 01-07-2009 14:00
For a statically loaded lap joint on 1/4 inch steel, what section is this in and can you explain the diffrence between Statically loaded and cyclically loaded ?
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 01-07-2009 14:23
Try D1.1 @ 2.3.2.9

Try this link for discussion of static and cyclic:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=67197;hl=statically%20loaded
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-08-2009 05:21
Static loads are loads that don't change over time. The weight of the steel framing and concrete decks in a building are examples of static loads. Static loads are sometimes referred to as "dead loads".

Cyclic loads are loads that change with time, like cars and trucks moving across a bridge deck. Wave action against a pier, rotating shafts that are out of balance so that vibrations are induced, wind loads, moving bridge cranes, etc. are example of cyclic loads. Cyclic loads induce fatigue cracks over long periods of time unless the engineer takes fatigue loading into consideration. Cyclic loads are sometimes referred to as "live loads".

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 01-08-2009 17:13
Not all live loads are cyclic.  Anything that's not a permanent part of the structure is live load--furniture, people, snow, etc.

Hg
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-08-2009 20:50
You've never met my wife. Her past time is having me move the couch from one location the another and back again. I had to replace four floor joists because of fatigue cracks! ;)

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / max fillet weld size