Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / ASME prices?
- - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 01-07-2009 19:09
Guys I got a question.

When I went to Tech 5 years ago I took ASME tests on both SMAW
and FCAW. I passed all my bend tests and it cost me nothing extra.

Now I am in a private school and a few days ago I took the 6G pipetest
for ASME and they charged me $275 dollars to bend it...they have three
guys working there who are qualified to bend it? Is this a little expensive? or
am I used to a state run Technical College.

My next test I will be doing a 6G for ASME and tigging it all the way. They
want $300 dollars for this test?

What do you all think? Thanks for all replies.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-08-2009 05:42
Got prices from a local lab today . RT D1.1 plate or ASME PIpe. $80.00. Bends if strips are already cut and buffed are $40.00 $80.00 if they have to make them.

What is then remaining is filling out the WPQ form (Not required to be done by a testing lab), and the authorized person signing it.

The cost of the coupons may be part of the cost but I can get 6" Sch 80 coupons here at $9.00 each.

The other interesting part is that the test that you take will have to be done again when you go to work somewhere. If you are just interested in knowing if you can make the weld satisfactory, then see if they can just RT the coupon in accordance with ASME sec IX. That is usually less labor intensive but may not be allowed with some processes.

Anyway, that seems VERY expensive to me for just the test. Are you in the class already ? or just going in for the test ?
Parent - - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 01-08-2009 11:33
"Are you in the class already ? or just going in for the test ?"

Sort of 50/50..

I am in class technically but, only for 6 weeks. Got one week to
go now.

The coupons were cut, ground and polished by me. I thought it was
a little expensive as well. I asked the instructor about the price and
he said it was due to cost of materials and paperwork.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-08-2009 13:32
6" Schedule 80 Coupon from triangle http://www.fischerengr.com/pricing-coupons.htm#PIPE%20COUPONS%20--CARBON%20STEEL $25.10 Each $50.20 Total
Electrodes using a cost of $2.50 Lb a deposition efficiency of .5 (long stub loss) and a volume of approx 4 Cubic inches results in a need of about 2 1/4 Lbs of electrode so there is $5.63

So there is $56.00 ish for materials to weld with.

Electricity cost here is about $.09 per kilowatt hour and unless they are using something other than inverters you will not exceed more than 1 kilowatt per hour OR exceed 1 hour of actual arc time. We will round the total up to $57.00 to account for special "Welding Test Electricity"

The grinding rocks and gas are a little harder to estimate (for cutting straps) but I think we are safe at $20.00. We are now up to $77.00

The almighty documentation is very hard to create and thus requires years of experience. The 6G 6" Sch 80 test with 6010 root and 7018 fill and cap is an unusual animal requiring extensive knowledge of ALL of the variable for performance qualification as indicated in ASME Sec IX. There is a total of 7 variables. All of which require extensive knowledge of the code book. Only available through extensive training and participation in assorted certification programs. I just filled out the sample I attched in 4.5 minutes including the time to create the .pdf. I did not copy a similar WPQ though I could have. I bill from 32 to 65 an hour. At the high end and rounding up to 10 minutes I just made 10.32 or something. We will round it up to 15 putting us at $92.00.

Please understand that due to extreme variations in the economy, wildly varying steel prices, the high cost of power, paying for certifications (ok maybe I didn't pay for mine ALL the time), hours in the bathroom learning big welding words, and other unknown factors, the estimates above are completely un-realistic.

I think the price is high too . The CERT in and of itself is worthless anyway. What you need to know is if your welds met the ASME Boiler And Pressure Vessel Code acceptance criteria for a welder performance qualification. A simple Mech test report or RT report is all you need.

Again, all of the above is only my opinion and is developed based upon my experience only. This experience may be limited or in different industry sectors and vary greatly from that of others.
Attachment: SecretSpecialWelderForm.pdf (27k)
Attachment: WPQVariables.jpg (0B)
Attachment: jointestimate2.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-08-2009 14:30
This is just my opinion but I think they do this to ensure that the students practice until they are fairly confident before testing a coupon.
Otherwise the instructors would be spending their entire day on this, as some guys would weld a set of nipples every day for a "test", hoping they might make it.
The 300 bucks admission price takes the tire kickers out of the equasion, and means the student will be pretty confident and serious before submitting a weld, and avoids wasting instructor time.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-08-2009 14:38
That could be. I would just tell the students, you can take the test after you pass all of these other ones (Non Certifying type tests).
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-08-2009 16:35
We tested a couple of welders in one of the building trades unions training centers a few years ago and those young guys were constantly bugging the two instructors about testing. I had to chuckle, and thought it was a good thing, a shop full of enthusiastic kids wanting to weld, but it drove the instructors batty.

I can just imagine the conversation tho:

Kid, in almost frantic tone -  "Can I test now?! Can I? Huh? Can I? Can I? Huh?!
Instructor - "Sure, for 300 bucks".
Kid, in subdued tone - "I think I'll go practice Mr. Instructor" ; )

JTMcC.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-08-2009 16:41
I let two weld a 3G plate yesterday. May get bends done or do them myself. Gonna try a 4G tonight . But just for practice. A welding test is still a welding test whether it gets shot or bent. You can tell alot by just watching.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-08-2009 16:37
Erikgr7,

Mind telling us what private school?

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 01-08-2009 18:24
That's highway robbery if you're doing all the labor and the schools providing all the materials and equipment.

I charge $50 for a basic bend test, including one face bend and one root bend.  Document included.  By basic I mean a test that I already have preformed in the past, and I already have the Code.  I keep a box of scrap materials. 

I do charge an additional $8 for a laminated photo card that lists all your certs and my CWI stamp.  I let my nieces have that piece of the business.

Naturally a more specific test cost's more.  A new code that I have to read and might have to create new forms for costs more. 

I would try you're local community collage or high school.

Parent - - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 01-08-2009 22:44
Thanks guys for the replies.

I don't want to give out their name..lol

I found out that a few others are taking a bend test on a 1 inch plate. I think
its SMAW. That bend test is $150 dollars. Thank goodness I have all my other
certs or this would cost me an arm and a leg.
Parent - - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 01-08-2009 22:47
I though about the same idea...maybe its to make the students
more serious and not bug the instructor all the time.

I remember when I first went to welding school. My instructor
there made us wait until almost finishing the course and then
would let us try mulitiple times to try and pass a test. I luckly
passed vertical and overhead in FCAW and got my first job at the
railroad. I never paid for getting my certs prior to this.
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 01-26-2009 17:19
As someone who has been on both sides of the testing fence let me ask this. What makes a welder worth $40, $50 ,$60 or even higher per hour? His skill? No. The laws of supply and demand. Same with testing fee's. No one said you had to pay that amount. You only have to pay it if you want what they have.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-26-2009 19:05
jsdwelder your post shows a total lack of understanding of the free market sysytem. I guess we should blame this on the public school sysytem.

JTMcC.
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 01-27-2009 02:33
Really? Please feel free to enlighten me on your understanding of the free market system.
Parent - By BasnettUSMC (*) Date 01-27-2009 17:00
hey,
even this price is insane. have you looked into how much it cost to sent your samples to a shop? I believe Hobart will test them for less, but, don't take my word on this. It doesn't matter what name it says on the certificate from the bend test, it matters how they test them. Look around, and find a name of a company that is familiar with testing according to AWS standards. my best advice is look around
Parent - By BasnettUSMC (*) Date 01-27-2009 16:52
Hey,
I don't know where you are in the US, but, I'm stationed out here in NC, and I found a community college with a CWI teaching and certifying for $60 for a 8 week course, and all of the certification processes are available, as well as covered by this inital payment. so I hate to tell this, but, unless your going to Hobart or some crazy school like that, then you're getting screwed. I just started on getting familiarized with the positions, and all of that, so I don't know much about this field, so I'm not like most of these guys here who have decades of experience, and have so much knowledge that it's incomprehendable, but, I'd seriously look into the breakdown of money, and if they can't give this to you, then, I think they are scamming you, severely
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / ASME prices?