Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipeline
- - By zackhodge (*) Date 01-08-2009 02:43
i recently went and looked at a pipeline going on in ohio but the welds didn't look all that great some roots weren't even penetrating. could some of this just of been scrap that was cut out? cause i thought pipeline was all x-ray
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-08-2009 04:40
zackhodge,
On a pipeline you never get to see the root runs (unless you have an endoscope)
Most probably one of the helpers having a bit of a play with some scrap.
If the weld is really bad after x-ray they will cut it out and that maybe what you saw.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By zackhodge (*) Date 01-08-2009 06:00
does x-ray show if the root is fully penatrated
Parent - - By rockin d (**) Date 01-08-2009 11:28
yup, it shows just about every inperfection there is they go by shadows, like ip will be a  dark line down the center , a burn through  a dark circle , wagon tracks dark lines @ edges , also depending on the code ,but your allowed so much ,you can get away with about 1" of ip on 6" pipe,  if pipeline is 1104  (that's just an example i'm not sure if 1" is right) There's also internal-undercut , hollow bead . I'm no x-ray tech , but it's what i have seen through out the years. If those welds you were looking @ had any kind of marking's usually white marker,  then they were cut out's
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-08-2009 14:34
It would be odd for a guy to go out on the right of way, on Sunday, pull the night cap, and crawl up into the line pipe (with a flashlight) to look at beads.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By rockin d (**) Date 01-08-2009 18:24
we stuck a guy once in a 20"  to backweld a fitting , he must weigh 90# soaking wet , but he got-r- done..
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-08-2009 19:09
I weight a lot more than 90 pounds, but I can weld up in 24". It's pretty tight but possible. I really don't want to tho!

JTMcC.
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 01-10-2009 18:39
[deleted]
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-10-2009 18:46
No way I fit in 18" and I wouldn't......even if I did ; )

JTMcC.
Parent - By CK Welding (**) Date 01-11-2009 01:59
I guess thats the way they teach you to run bead better the first time?  I am the yougest man on most the jobs i go on.  I know for a fact you would have a fight on your hands before you send me in ANY size pipe.  I do all my welding from the outside, or I will drag up and find a better job down the road.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipeline