Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Discontinuities using RT
- - By hotwork (*) Date 01-08-2009 15:11
On my pratice test the question is For the construction of most buildings (statically loaded) the max size elongated discontinuity permitted for 3/4"full penetration groove weld examined by RT is? On page 212 it 6.12.1.1(1) to use figure 6.1 can you help me understand this chart.
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 01-08-2009 15:51
Try looking at Figure C-6.9 in D1.1 (page 500 in the 2008 code).  This may help.
Mankenberg
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-08-2009 15:52
Let me try.  I am very sure that there will be one far more knowledgeable and experienced than I who will gladly correct me if I am wrong but here is my take:

E is the weld size.  Since you have a CJP 3/4" weld.  You will go up the left side to 3/4 and run your line across until it intersects witht the diagonal line indicating B Max. size of discontinuity.
In the case of 3/4 in weld that line intersects at the 1/2" mark.  I would infer that it would mean that in a 3/4 weld the largest discon. allowed by D1.1 would be 1/2".
Then we will go down from the 1/2 inch interection on B to the number on the bottom, C.  Note 2 says that C is the minimum clearance between the edges of discons. bigger or equal to 3/32.

So in a 3/4" weld size the max size of discon. is 1/2" and if any discon 3/32 or bigger is within 1 1/2 inches of one another at the edges (as opposed to centers) then the weld is rejectable.
I got my fingers crossed. Hope I'm right.
Parent - - By mroach (**) Date 01-08-2009 16:22
That's the way I'm reading it. Using a D1.1 2002 version though. I think the key to the question was " Elongated ". Figure 6.2 on page 227 addresses that......MR
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-08-2009 16:38
Fig. 6.2 is Cyclically loaded nontubular only and Fig. 6.1 is Static load nontubular and static or cyclic tubular.
Parent - - By mroach (**) Date 01-08-2009 16:56
Sorry about that. The chart in this 2002 version is figure 6.1 statically loaded and figure 6.2 are the acceptable images. Not sure how they are outlined in 2008 version.........MR
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-08-2009 16:58
No worries!
Parent - - By hotwork (*) Date 01-08-2009 16:58
On page 241 the dotted line runs in between 1/2 and 9/16 do you just quess at that number or is there a way to tell what that is?
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-08-2009 17:10
Now that one I am not sure about.  I have been wondering about the dotted line.  I don't think there is any significant about them.  I assume they would have something in the notes about it.  But I would assume that the scale could be viewed with a little bit of lee way.  The E scale has gradations of 1/8 and the C scale of 1/4 so I think if needed one could guesstimate the proper value or if need be a rule could be used to make even smaller gradations to the scales by dividing each column a couple of times. 

Also as specific as many of the variables are in other Figures and Tables I would think that if there was a problem that a chart would be developed by the AWS and inserted instead of this figure.  That way it would be a more definate "SHALL" statement instead of the mediocre way of the Figure in question.

Hope that helps.
Parent - By mroach (**) Date 01-09-2009 17:50
Talked with a radiographer we happen to have here at the plant about that chart with the dotted lines. He was at a loss also as to their significance. He thinks maybe that illustration is nothing more than an example. As for reading between the fixed values on each graticule, that's strictly up to your interpolation. You are right, I can see where that could be a problem.............MR
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Discontinuities using RT