Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASNT LVL III Basic Study guide
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-08-2009 18:31
Any1 Know a link to purchase the ASNT LVL III Basic Study guide? I looked on the ASNT web site but could not find a copy of the basic study guide? I would also like any good reading mat,tips or heads up for these tests im giving my self a few 7 or 8 mos to study.
MDK
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 01-08-2009 19:01
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-08-2009 19:40
Do you know what the latest edition is, i have 2005 revised looks like the one on the link but im not sure.
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 01-08-2009 19:44
The one on the link is the latest rev.
Mankenberg
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 01-08-2009 19:30
About 15 years ago I had a program called ETS(educational training system?). It was only general knowledge questions, but it covered MT, PT, ET, UT, and RT. It was a big help.
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 01-08-2009 21:29
So.... I go to hellier they train me and give me a test,on all 10 or so NDT methods what does that really do for me? I still need to test on  each method im qualified for, correct.
For example I've been tested time and again on MT so with the years and training im sure lvl III MT is one that i will test on in the future.
If any1 has recieved a LVL III could you give me an example of how this works.
is there a lvl III basic cert?
MDK
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 01-09-2009 21:10
regarding your Level III NDT certification question.

There really is no "Basic level III"  certification, however, you do need to pass the Basic level III Test.
You also need to pass the method Level III test for every NDT discipline you seek level III certification in.

For example, for MT Level III certification, you need to pass the basic level III test and the level III Magnetic Particle test.

I'd also recommend taking the level III refresher classes.

(I have a rev. 2006 Basic Study guide)
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 01-12-2009 23:16
Thank you Bill,
I will be taking the prep classes,
So, i will take the 1 week class , test on the Basics.
Then i will be taking MT LVL III when im there, so for this, i will again be tested on the basics(all methods) but it will also fosus on MT in detail.
that gives me a LVL III in MT.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 01-13-2009 22:15
The "Basic" class is 5 days....the classes typcially end on a Friday...and the ASNT Level III Basic test is offered on the following Saturday.

The Level III refresher classes are usually two or three days long.  For Level III MT, the classes are two days long, and are typically scheduled such that you can then take the Level III test on the following Saturday. 

You said, "Then i will be taking MT LVL III when im there, so for this, i will again be tested on the basics(all methods) but it will also fosus on MT in detail.  that gives me a LVL III in MT." 

You will not be "again tested on the basics".  Once you pass the Basic test, you are done with that.  The level III tests are only on the specific method,  (the magnetic particle Level III test is only on magnetic particle, no basic questions will be asked during that exam).  You need to pass both the Basic and the MT Level III to hold the level III in MT.  If you want to get another method certification, such as UT, you have to then take the level III test in UT, but you only have to pass the Basic test once.  Hope that helps.
Parent - By michael kniolek (***) Date 01-14-2009 00:08
thank you again bill
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASNT LVL III Basic Study guide