Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / dying economy
- - By james webb Date 01-09-2009 06:19
I dont know about everywhere else but here in north Texas the drilling boom has just about died. they are stacking rigs so fast the hands aint got time to get home. Is there any work for welders around texas, louisiana or mississippi or anywhere close to texas?
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 01-09-2009 15:00
James,
Try Kiewit Offshore in Ingleside (near Corpus).  They have a full yard with more orders on the books, and are still hurting for piping and structural (6GR) welders.
Mankenberg
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-09-2009 15:14
They must be hard-up, they've had a standing offer posted in the Missoula, MT job service since Halloween. It claims "up to $26/hr".
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-09-2009 20:51
You probably need to be Fluent in Spanish to work there
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 01-09-2009 21:36
Kiewit, not a good company to work for if you know your craft and like being productive while doing quality work. However if you prefer to stand around and stare at the ceiling while 23 year old engineers who have never even been on a construction site run around trying to line out your daily work and tell you how to rig and install piping incorrectly, then this might be the one for you. They definitely prefer people who are dead from the neck up who'll not question there work practices and safety and are patient when they can't find any material for another project they can get you working on that you won't finish.
Parent - - By tnhnt (***) Date 01-10-2009 04:29
Funny you say that. I did a 78" line back in 07 and they acted the same way back then. They would be on site for about three months then gone and they would bring in another young bunch eingineers to slow the job down even more...  What college do they get these guys out of or does Kiewit have there own institution and raise them from the ground up?
Parent - - By CoonBait (*) Date 01-11-2009 04:37
They were the same in 2001 when they tried the to dip in the power plant boom. Some things never change.....
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-11-2009 16:12
My old man retired from Kiewet says they were starting to go that rout back in 93 when he left frustrating to see the JET SET take over what was a great outfit. However they were one of the best at one time in my opinion took good care of my family.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-11-2009 22:27
As we speak Kiewit is performing very large jobs all around the world.
I've done quite a bit of work for them under several different divisions over the last 13 years or so.
I'll say this, you can't pass judgement on such a large company because of what you see on one (or a few) jobs.
I've worked with some of the best people I've ever been involved with on Kiewit jobs as well as some of the worst.
I know enough, and have worked enough, to take each job for it's face value.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By tnhnt (***) Date 01-12-2009 03:57
I read in the news a couple of weeks ago that Kiewit and T.I.C merged in some sort of aspect...
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 01-14-2009 01:56
T.I.C.= The Immigrant Company, good luck finding US citizens or green cards on their jobs.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 01-14-2009 17:10 Edited 01-14-2009 17:16
I also like TIC= Teaching Illegals Construction!!! Third Installation Correct and The Incompetent Company.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 01-14-2009 17:14 Edited 01-14-2009 17:17
I agree with the above opinion about Kiewit.  Been on some bad but mostly good projects for them and when I worked for them in CA they were pairing up their "intern" engineers with the piping field foreman for guidance.  It wasn't a  "boss" thing but the communication was very good and most of the engineers learned a lot and liked the program.  Also more than a few engineers wished they had become welders or pipefitters when they found out what we were making!!!  A whole room full of engineers and nobody knows a thing about trains!!!! I also think Kiewit is without a doubt one of the safest companies I've been involved with, they don't just talk the talk, they practice what they preach.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-13-2009 15:25
I had 2 guys working for me on the shut down i got hurt on and i needed a translator. They werent very good welders lets just say robert can weld better than they can. Must not be very hard to get on there
Parent - - By Jake331 (**) Date 01-12-2009 04:31
I'm also looking for work.... I'm in the northeat texas area.... looking for pipeline but will do anything to make a buck..... does anybody know of anything????
Parent - - By sqiggy (**) Date 01-12-2009 16:51
Fluor will be starting their spring outages starting in Feb. They will also have a good one in Tatum in March.
Parent - - By Jake331 (**) Date 01-15-2009 02:39
last year I called them like everyday for a week and could never get anybody to call me back. that monticello plant is only like 20 minutes from my house
Parent - - By sqiggy (**) Date 01-15-2009 03:18
Your callin the wrong number then. Try 800-933-0199, then ask for ext 200. That will be Victor. Or ask for ext 400. That will be..............dang, her name just slipped my mind. Anyway, she's real nice. I just talked to her a couple days ago. Rockdale is supposed to start Feb 20, then Martin Lake March 7 and go 55 days. Then Big Brown and Mt Pleasant will have theirs after that. She said work should go up to the first week in June.
Parent - By Jake331 (**) Date 01-16-2009 01:33
hey man thanks for the numbers
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 01-15-2009 00:05
people are starting to panic up here , no thanks to the news and newspaper  
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / dying economy