Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Continuous Education
- - By Ke1thk (**) Date 01-09-2009 12:54
I had my nine-year re-certification in 2008.  I was guilty of not keeping fresh with all of the information and squeaked by with a passing grade. 

The instructor made a comment to the class about staying current with welding knowledge by adding to our qualifications.  He suggested testing for another code, Senior CWI, Certified Welding Educator, or something else. 

Would I risk losing my CWI card if I took another course and failed?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that I could avoid any testing if I have documented continuous education. 

Is that true? If yes, how would it work?

Keith
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-09-2009 15:49
Get a copy of QC1 from the AWS web site. Its a free download.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-10-2009 15:07
yeah if i am not mistaken. you can get by with 80 hrs. in the year or two before your cert expires by sitting in a class. and i do beleive you can lose your CWI if you fail the SCWI
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 02-06-2009 03:14
That is correct. Take the Senior test, fail and you will lose all certification. Crazy. Who would want to take it?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-09-2009 16:28
Anyone that wants to write WPSs and develop welding procedures for one.

You can apply professional development hours and endorsements toward the nine year renewal.

If you have a current CWI, you can take the SCWI and fail it without jeopardizing your CWI unless you wait until the last possible moment before renewing the CWI. In other words, use PDHs and endorsements to maintain your CWI and renew as normal. Take the SCWI in your 8th year so if you fail, you still have a valid CWI ticket. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-09-2009 18:14
Al
I know I had emailed Pete Howe before on this subject and he suggested you take the SCWI on your 3rd year renewal or your 6th year renewal. The idea being you would need to pay for a renewal anyway along with the paperwork involved and then also turn in the paperwork to take the SCWI test. The total cost would be less and your paying either way, if you fail the test it will not effect your CWI status because you also turned in your renewal forms and money for that. Also you get credit for the SCWI if you pass against your 9th year renewal PDH time.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-09-2009 19:22 Edited 02-09-2009 21:50
As long as you meet the experience requirement that is an option.

I believe you have to have your CWI for at least 6 years before you can apply for SCWI and there are qualification requirements that have to be met. QC1 has the details. I don't know if you can sit in on the examination without meeting the six year requirement, but Pete would have the details on that.

The SCWI isn't something everyone needs or wants. I find it useful in my practice and well worth the effort to obtain. I've passed it three different times for personal reasons, so it can't be that hard a test.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-09-2009 19:31
Sorry, I did not mention the 6 years as a CWI / 15 years experiance etc..
As you can see I thought about taking it. Joe had mentioned before their are only 375 or something like that current SCWIs.
While supervising the A & C for the last 10 years I have only had 1 CWI take it here in Colorado and he failed.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-09-2009 20:24
James,
  Thanks for that info. I had my info all wrong. I guess I should be gearing up NOW to take it in October at my 6 year mark?? I better start looking into this.

John
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Continuous Education