Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / beginners certification?
- - By jboz Date 12-08-2001 02:44
Hi,
Sorry if this isnt the right place to post. But i was wondering if this place offers a beginners course for someone looking to get some knowledge of welding. I work permit work with the Boilermakers and its a hck of alot easier to get into work if you have some kind of welding papers. I would be in the Cloumbus, OH area, and if there is such a short course, 1 week or so , how much do they usually cost.

TIA

Jay
Parent - By thomas_1999 Date 12-10-2001 12:52
Go to www.welding.org , Its located in Troy Ohio which isn't too far from you. They offer several courses which you can better understand from their home page. You can also request some literature be sent to you.

Good Luck
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-10-2001 18:19
Many local voc-tech schools may offer night classes. As far as a "Certificate" or papers those (Which I have never shown to anyone for a job) are usually worthless to an employer. In most cases they are required to recertify/test you.

Even in cases in which your papers are valid per the code of construction the contractors or the end user require that you "recertify" with them. I have actually certified with a company working at a customers plant in one location, finished the job, went to another location owned by the same customer and still working with the same contractor and required to retest.

The best thing to obtain is the skill. The papers are only that. I have seen many run off from a job for poor skills and performance, never for a paperwork error. If you have the skill and get a chance to show someone in the company you are working for that you really can weld. If you think getting the papers from somewhere and showing them to your company will help, be aware that this is usually not the case.

The cheapest course I have found for gaining welding knowledge has been the job.
Gerald Austin
Parent - By tx_welder77044 Date 01-02-2002 17:52
That's right and that includes the so called AWS Certified Welder Card.
Just another way for AWS to make money without having to do anything and as long as you guys fall for it, they'll keep doing it.
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 12-18-2001 02:12
The best place to learn to weld is like Pipewelder said......The job... The best thing you can do seeing as how you've worked permit for the boilermakers is to either go through the apprenticship or get an NTL book. If you've worked on a job for thirty consecutive days you can get an NTL book....your lodge will be through Kansas City, but you can travel the whole country with it. And if you take some sort of welding school and pass a "Common Arc" test, you will almost be guarenteed a spot on almost any locals' "B" list. That basically means that you'll get a call before some other NTL hand that doesn't have papers or is just a "rigger or Mechanic".
I'm not saying this because I don't know. I was an NTL hand and made the move to the apprenticeship, and believe me it's the best thing I ever did. And I've also pimped for a lot of damn good welders and let me tell you, when you watch someone put it in, and see the results afterwards, it's much more meaningful as an educational experience than some book you just read about technique.
The best welders in the world didn't learn it from a book, believe me, I know.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / beginners certification?