Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Minimum Fillet Weld Size
- - By clutch (*) Date 01-10-2009 17:53
I'm struggling with this question according to D1.1 section 2.17.3 the min. fillet weld size is 3/16" well I am a special inspector and inspect commercial buildings and when inspecting bar joist welds the spec is usually 1/8" fillet according to SJI. But the contract documents always specify all welds shall meet D1.1 requirements. Anyone have any input to this. I typically just write my report referencing the SJI spec but why do AWS specs conflict.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-10-2009 19:23
Clutch,

Welcome to the forum.  Let's see if I can word this right for you.

D1.1, according to section (now "Clause" in the 08 edition) 1, deals with material from 3/16 and up.  So the fillet weld sizes are more than likely called out accordingly.  D1.3, which can be used in conjunction with D1.1, deals with thinner materials. 

Also, different codes do call things differently.  That is why a CWI must be very careful as to which code (i.e. D1.1, API 1104, ASME, etc.) the engineers are calling the work to be completed to and then inspected to.  We are taught not to memorize material but to always refer to the code in use at the time. 

Next, the engineer is always free to modify anything to his own specific uses apart from the code.  If the stamped prints call out weld 'X' then that is what had better be in the spot he called it out.  Not what I think, or even what the code says.  He is the man with ultimate power, knowledge, and final say as to application.

Hope that answers your question satisfactorily.  Have a Great Day, Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-12-2009 02:00
Amen.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-12-2009 15:34
Brent,
I agree with Al. Great reply, The only thing that I would have to add is in Clause 1 of D1.1.

Paragraph 1.2 Limitations list the thickness range (of D1.1) from 1/8" and thicker...everything else is spot on.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-12-2009 15:40
Hi Clutch,
When you find that the requiements of SJI and AWS conflict, I would tend to want to ask to review the approver's comments on the joist drawings for the job. If the Engineer(approver) stamped these drawings, then he has officially signed off on the weld size, unless he has noted something else. Just my .02
Parent - - By clutch (*) Date 01-13-2009 18:56
Thanks guys your input helps. Alot of times submittals are not provided here in the Midwest and you just have to assume construction drawings are always approved. I always did refer to D1.3 sec. 2.2.2 but was just curious to see if anyone was ever instructed to inspect to one criteria that did not apply to the joint your inspecting.(ie, D1.1 for k-series joist) but I have noticed alot of joist manufactuers stepping up the joist bearing shoe angle size to accomodate a 3/16" fillet. Anyway thanks for your all's time.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 01-14-2009 18:04
Here's one from my memory so treat it accordingly.  As an engineer, I once inspected some bar joists and found their welds were poor with lots of undercutting and apparant lack of fusion.  When I quoted the AWS specs, I was told the Steel Joist Institute does not follow AWS unless the Contract Documents specifically require it.  I don't have time right now to look up SJI requirements but that's next on my list.

Bob Garner
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-14-2009 23:38
The SJI qualification test is much like API 1104. If it doesn't separate upon impacting the floor from a height of 36 inch, it's good! :)

I couldn't help myself. Any welding standard that accepts cracks (crater cracks that is) has to get a few smirks and a few wise cracks now and again!

I have a job today where I'm checking some open web joists that are maybe thirty years old. How do you say they're good? All I'm willing to say is they aren't broken, other than that, buyer beware!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Minimum Fillet Weld Size