Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / HELP WITH PART "B" TEST
- - By 6gwelder Date 01-11-2009 04:00
I RECENTLY TOOK THE CWI TEST AND BUSTED THE PART B, THERE WAS A QUESTION ABOUT AN "UNDERRUN" FILLET WELD SIZE , DOES ANYBODY KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT THEY MEAN WITH THAT "UNDERRUN" WELD SIZE? AM ABOUT TO TAKE IT AGAIN PLEASE HELP ME, AND THERES A QUESTION ABOUT WETHER IS UNDERCUT OR UNDERFILL IS VERY DIFFICULT TO SAY EXACTLY WHAT IT IS.   THANKS
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 01-11-2009 14:00
Join the club.  That question has ruined many a person.  If you get it wrong, you get the next several questions wrong also.
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 01-11-2009 18:52
The undercut vs underfill is a rotten question that has been discussed at length over on the Inspection forum. 
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-11-2009 15:36
Underrun is the same as too small fillet leg size.  It means the weld is running under the specified size.   As an example, from D1.1- 06, Table 6.1 (6):

"In all cases, the undersize portion of the weld shall not exceed 10% of the weld length.
On web-to-flange welds on girders, underrun shall be prohibited at the ends for a length
equal to twice the width of the flange."
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-11-2009 20:21
It has been well said that no one misses any part of the exam by one or two questions.  You had to miss several questions in order to have failed the Part B.

Underrun can be found in other places as well but Chet said it nicely and it will be up to you to apply it in a way to answer the question correctly.

As to undercut vs. underfill, they are actually different conditions.  But without knowing how the answers were stated and how you answered, it is difficult to know how to advise.  While you may not know these well enough to feel comfortable with your answers, you don't know for sure that you got these two questions wrong.

Remember too that you more than likely will have a totally different test the next time around.  Still should know the many weld discontinuities as well as possible.

Go through your B1.10 and B1.11 books on visual inspection, as well as your 2.4 on terms.  You can also find pictures and terms in many other of the resource books.  Now that you have been through the course you should have copies of many books that you may not have had before you took the first exam.

Just keep studying everything and looking at the Part B that you also now have and know what they are going to ask generally.

Have a Great Day, (and good luck) Brent
Parent - - By 6gwelder Date 01-12-2009 01:05
Thanks folks at least I can see am not alone in this predicament, I ll be paying more attention to each answer................hope to join the big leagues as a CWI.   
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-12-2009 01:58
Much of the CWI examinations, or any other examination for that matter, deals with proper terminology. It is something we contend with on a daily basis. As a CWI, you are expected to know the proper AWS terminology for the fundamentals examination and part B and the proper API terminology if you insist on taking API 1104 for the open book, part C, examination. If you elect to use API or ASME terminology on either part A or part B, you will rightfully get the answer wrong.

I try to make it a point to use AWS terms when I reply to a question, and in the event the question is posted with nonstandard terms, I usually try to poke some good natured fun at the question. Not to demean the individual that asked the question, but simply to make the individual aware that nonstandard terminology usually results in poor communications. Other time I simply elect to ignore the question altogether and go on to something more meaningful. After all, I'm sure there is an API sponsored forum for the pipeliners that stack beads rather than deposit welds. ;)

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 6gwelder Date 01-12-2009 22:59
oK THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, AM ALSO HAVING NIGHTMARES ABOUT MY PART B TEST EVERYTHING DEPENDS ON PASSING THAT TEST TO GET MY JOB PLEASE PRAY FOR ME.........................
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-13-2009 04:08
You'll do fine if you prepare well in advance of the examination.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By 6gwelder Date 01-13-2009 21:26
Thanks for your moral support and advice Al..................
Parent - - By Christian Baumberger (*) Date 01-13-2009 05:59
I've prayed for wisdom on your behalf.
-christian-
Parent - - By 6gwelder Date 01-13-2009 21:22
That sounds good Christian you must be a christian. 
Parent - - By Christian Baumberger (*) Date 01-14-2009 06:48
That I am.
You did ask for people to pray for you.
Parent - - By 6gwelder Date 01-14-2009 17:09
Me too, Christian, Ive made a lot of mistakes in my life, but not when I accepted Jesus.....thanks...............Roy
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 01-14-2009 20:31
Part B is the Practical Exam:

Does anyone know if there are any training seminars, classes, etc. offered that specifically concentrate on the Practical Part B stuff?
Parent - By PSS1 Date 01-14-2009 20:58
AWS has a one day seminar just for the part B examination. The "Visual Inspection Workshop", there is a publication AWS VIW-M:2008 that is very helpful but the seminar is the way to go if you can afford it.
It really helped me with my 9 year recert, it was worth the money. Best of luck.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-16-2009 16:42
Undercut and under fill is a condition that IS hard to determine........
Under fill: Insufficient weld metal to fill the weld groove face ( I would say that if you see a portion of the groove on the base metal that has not been melted that would be under fill)
Undercut: The base metal melting without filler metal filling in the melted portion..

I have a few good pictures of this and on the under fill image you can clearly see the sharp edge of the groove and no melting has occurred.

On the under cut image you can see the non uniform melting of the base metal ,no indication of the machined groove and no weld metal filling in where it was melted.

MDK
Parent - By 6gwelder Date 01-20-2009 02:15
Thank you Mikeqc1
Parent - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 02-04-2009 16:27
if you don't mind can you send question of the practical exam to me i plan to take this exam after several days
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / HELP WITH PART "B" TEST