Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / About Nominal Pipe or Tube Size Qualified for Welder
- - By viettq (*) Date 01-15-2009 02:33
Dear All,

May I ask you something?
About Table 4.11, Item 2) Tests on Pipe or Tubing, I did not see any mention about how to qualified Pipe or Tube have Diameter less than 20mm. Please advise me the right way.

Thanks & Best Regards
viet.tq
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-15-2009 06:07
What edition, i.e., year, of D1.1 are you referring to?

Are you dealing with performance qualification or procedure qualification? The tables change from one year to the next. You need to be specific.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By viettq (*) Date 01-15-2009 06:41
Dear Al,

I want to mention about D1.1-2008 and for Welder qualification.

Regards
viet.tq
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 01-15-2009 21:35
The first thing that comes to my mind is that the D1.1 is a structural code. I don't know of too many tubular structural members that are less than 20mm [3/4in]. Heck, how many true tubular structural members do you see under 100mm [4 in]. I'm not sure a 20mm OD tube is the best option available to a designer to handle a structural load.

If we agree that your application is not truly structural but and you still need to qualify a welder to weld it, maybe AWS B2.1 would be a better option.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-16-2009 03:07
The diameter isn't the critical dimension. The wall thickness is, and as per AWS D1.1, the minimum wall thickness of 1/8 inch or 3 mm is the determining factor whether D1.1 covers the structural work or not.

The bottom of Table 4.10 (D1.1-2004) has a listing for "Tests on Pipe or Tubing". They list the size of the pipe as less than or equal to 100 mm and greater than 100 mm (diameters). Next they list the nominal test thickness and it is either unlimited (any wall thickness), less than or equal to 10 mm, or greater than 10 mm. If the wall thickness is less than or equal to 10 mm, the thickness range qualified is 3 mm to 20 mm. If the wall thickness is greater than 10 mm, the thickness range qualified is 5 mm to unlimited thickness. Make sure you read the foot notes.

I don't have my 2008 handy, but I assume it is very similar if not the same as the 2004 edition regarding welder qualification.

Best regard - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / About Nominal Pipe or Tube Size Qualified for Welder