Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Helping my kids lastnight with homework
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-15-2009 12:09
Trying to play around and show them a neat trick which really isn't a trick, there is a reason why the hammer doesn't just pull the ruler off the edge.

example:

from another angle:

Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-15-2009 12:38
John, that's a fine mind boggler.  I will have to try to replicate it and show my kids.  They would be amused, and confused by it.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-15-2009 12:50
Here is where I got the idea.....C of G is behind the pivot point so it doesn't fall....sort of a reverse cantilever going on

Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-15-2009 15:43
I wish more parents would get involved with their children's homework/school activities!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-15-2009 16:45
my step daughter got into showing animals this year with ffa and that is just right up my alley i started her on chickens they are easy to raise and i could help her over the phone when i was out of town she is only 10 and cried and moaned for 7 weeks but it paid off after 7 weeks of vigarous feeding and wtaering she got 3rd place in the show and reserve champion jr. showmanship in the jr. division not to bad for her firts year. She was upset she didnt get first she wanted the gold buckle with a chicken on it lol i told her next year we'll take them by storm she's hooked i love it i always loved going to stock shows and rodeos 1 day i'll get her hooked on rodeoin and then i'll have to work more and harder to support that habit i dont worry about her grades she cant stand to loose and has A's n B's every six weeks always brings home A B honor roll and perfect attendance. sorry guys i bragged a lil to much
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-15-2009 17:26
NEVER apologize for bragging about your kids. Her academic success is a compliment to your involvement.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-16-2009 04:48
ty when she hits high school she is screwed i can ad subtract divide and multiply thats it when it comes to alg. tig. and the rest i'm stupid until she wants to weld or rope then i'm back in the game lol
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-15-2009 17:32
I'm with Fran, no need to apologize for the bragging...it's all part of being a parent....LOL
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 01-16-2009 05:34
Thats awesome , Shad . I showed rabbits when I was in FFA . I tried to hook my kids on animal showing and they just didn't take to it . I'm also a proud parent . I have a 16 , 12 , and a 11 yr. old . All three are straight A's , but the 16 yr. old is a member of the National Honor Society , ranked 5th in his class , has school record for vertical leap (35") ,varsity football running back , and last but not least , A GREAT KID ... no trouble at all . My 12 yr. old is also in football and a GREAT KID , can do wonders on a rip stick ... well , on anything with wheels and a snowboard .  My 11 yr. old is my baby girl and she is a hand full ! Very strong willed and sweet as a homemade apple pie .  O.K. , I'm off my soap box . Back to the projects ... those are some cool projects . I'm gonna try them with the munchkins tomorrow .
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-16-2009 06:11
i showed steers hogs and chickens only did chickens 1 year when i showed them they had to be bathed ever give a chicken a bath try it it's fun lol not they have it made now just feed ,water and show i got my hands on some lets say not the right way to feeds chickens for show according to her FFA advisor but they are just picky S O B's on who they want to help basicly members of the elbow rubbers club and my elbows are to dirty to attend their functions. Wished i'd of had these cliff notes when i was feeding show animals the good ol days were alot of fun and it got me out of class lol wont be long she'll be roping and in my pocket for a welding rig lol
Parent - - By slagline 3 (**) Date 01-16-2009 14:43
Shad I don't think we can ever brag enough about our kids and their accomplishments. You will value only what you appreciate...I am not speaking out of turn here, been reading your threads for over a year now and I know you are the kind of man that lives for your kids. Oh Yea' Those great grades...You never have to apoligize for having a great education. Shad, keep her heading in that direction... its all good there.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-17-2009 15:10
in a way shes like me i never cared much for school got out by the skin of my seat she hates to fail and hates to miss does it all on her own and well she loves ice cream from daiy queen and knows A B honor roll gets her a trip to D Q lol and i push her some cause i like their milk shakes lol
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-18-2009 03:15
Just one more reason to motivate Your kid. :-)
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-15-2009 17:31
Neat trick - you've built a cantilevered truss there.  I think I'll try that with my young one. 

Recently, her geography classwork dealt with maps and locating places.  This fall, some wind generators were put up the next town over and you can see them from any hill top for miles around.  We didn't know exactly where they are, so "we" learned how to triangulate the location of the towers by taking compass bearings from landmarks on a topographical map.

She was impressed.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-15-2009 17:36
Triangulation is cool Chet!...great job. There are always lots of learning oportunities for the kids "if" we just take the time to grab them.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-15-2009 19:05
I'll have to show that to my kids, it's neat seeing stuff like this is action. I've always hated math til I started doing handrail, stairs and then it became interesting. Now I sit down with my daughter and I can actually explain the pythagorean theorem.....although I had to look it up to spell it!!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-15-2009 19:12
After I took a position in the drafting room in my company many years ago, I wished then that I had paid closer attention in Trigonometry class....LOL, I had to relearn most of what I was taught way back in highschool...uggh.

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-15-2009 19:33
Here is another pic where a guy in my camaro club tried this....

Parent - - By stkwldr (**) Date 01-15-2009 19:56
try this one.  A cork, 2 forks, toothpick, and a match. after you have it balanced, light the end of the toothpick it will burn out where it's balanced on it's own. My daughter was amazed.
Attachment: 01-15-09_1350.jpg (0B)
Attachment: 01-15-09_1351.jpg (0B)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-15-2009 20:13
I've heard of that one, but haven't seen it until you posted your pics...that's cool!...thanks for sharing.
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 01-15-2009 21:48
How is that possible? I guess we will have to drink a bottle of wine (for the cork) and try it out.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-16-2009 04:36
The more You drink, the more amazing it will be. :-)
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-16-2009 04:49
I agree dave but it may become more confusing as well lol
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-16-2009 05:01
Do that at a cafe with a fork and a spoon stuck together instead of the cork then watch the girl come and pick up the tip seen some very confused looks.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-16-2009 16:22
I like teaching my kids things to bring back to school,
Right now im teaching my oldest  5yrs to solve a rubix cube in a few minutes.
mdk
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-16-2009 16:30 Edited 01-16-2009 16:38
My oldest (12) is a rubik's fan...he has all of the puzzles that they have made. Ask him about soving a 4 row cube in a less than a minute and he'll light up...he did a class project (a student questionaire) on the different types of puzzles and asked the other kids how many of the games they had played and how many they have solved, produced graphs and charts to show his findings, then showed them how to solve the different puzzles.

Pretty neat to see a 5yo solve that cube quickly.

edit: for those who may be interested, here is some neat reading and video of really fast cube solving.
http://www.speedcubing.com/chris/
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-16-2009 16:36
I was amazed by that infernal contraption when I was 10 or so.  I found the only way I could solve the cube was to take the blocks out of it. LOL.

I printed off a couple of those Sudoku puzzles a couple years ago.  I had the same puzzle and gave it to 2 of my kids.  One was 12 the other was 9.  My 9 y/o did the damn thing in 10 minutes.  That was the first time she every saw them.  My 12 y/o gave up 5 minutes after I did, 25 minutes after looking at the thing like a deer in headlights.  I must have Adult ADD. :-)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-16-2009 16:39
Byron, I don't have paitence for suduko either...but my 12 yo loves those too.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-16-2009 16:51
i WAS AMAZED HOW SIMPLE IT IS!!!!
aS A KID I COULD GET MAYBE 2 SIDES.
MDK
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-16-2009 22:12 Edited 01-16-2009 22:19
I used to enjoy building science and math projects with my kids.

Maybe I'll get the chance to work with my grandkids next.

Great ideas and photos.

One teacher told e that while he appreciated my willingness to work with my daughter and her friend on their project, the idea was to have them build something. Not for me to build it for them.

I assured him my daughter and her girl friend built the project after I gave them some basic instructions on soldering. Their project was for math class and it was to be something of the application of geometry in daily life. The two girls made a space frame truss, a replica of the first Hartford Civic Center that crashed during a snowstorm. The space frame was constructed from 1/8 copper flashed steel welding rod.

He said, "You don't expect me to believe they "welded" the pieces together themselves?"

I told him to look at their fingers and hands and look for the burns they got.

The next day he called to apologize and gave them both an "A" for the project.

She's married now with three little boys ages 2 to 6. I still have their "model". Take a look at the photo. Not bad for two young girls in fifth grade! I've kept it in the cellar for over twenty years and there's only a couple of bridging bars that have come loose.

Best regards - Al
Attachment: SpaceFrame1.jpg.pdf (176k)
Attachment: SpaceFrame1.jpg (0B)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Helping my kids lastnight with homework