Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Part B FOR CWI
- - By hotwork (*) Date 01-15-2009 18:46
One of my pratice questions ask to use Appendix IX what A number filler metal type would have a carbon content of up to .30 My question is there a better way to find the anwser  than using the formular because we are on the clock.
Parent - - By hvymax (**) Date 01-15-2009 19:25
The most important thing you can do on the test is follow the directions to the letter. If you familiarize with a calculator you can insert the appropriate numbers into the appropriate formula to get the correct answer fairly quickly. The choices were also spread out enough that the correct answers are fairly apparent. The most important thing is to pick apart every question and possible answer to your complete satisfaction just answer the ones you are comfortable with first then work through the ones you can handle next and then in the last 5min or so guess at the rest. 72% gives you a pretty wide margin for error. You need to become comfortable searching out the answers, you need to learn to use the index/tables and tabs to search out the answers.   Good Luck you might need it
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2009 19:08
There is no formulaq for the A number. It is a simple "look-up" answer from the table provided.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-20-2009 14:56
There is a shortcut, but if you are using it for the exam, I hope you fail! (Reported Carbon content plus the reported Manganese divided by 15 will give you a rough number.)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Part B FOR CWI