Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Man Fails CWI test but is still inspecting
- - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 01-16-2009 02:24
Hey there Folks!
Been a long time since I've been on....Working my butt off in fab shop.
My query is...is it legitimate to have some one doing structural fabrication inspection on welded beams and columns when this person has just failed the CWI test?
This guy is getting really picky with my work while I'm not present or off shift, and i think it has to do with the fact that when we had an indepenent crew of CWI's sent in from the "GC" all the long timers' stuff got flagged...even His. But not mine, and he also knows I'm very interested in taking up Inspection. I have lots of theories on the problem.

My real worry is that I'm being singled out by an unqualified person...especially when all i hear when I get on shift is..."You had a problem with one of your welds, but I fixed it". Ouch!!

Respectfully, Jeffrey Grady
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-16-2009 03:06
Tell him you would appreciate fixing your own welds, that way you can learn what your doing wrong!
I always(if its possible and feasible) make the ones that screw up fix their own screw ups. no one likes picking up behind scab workers.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-16-2009 03:53 Edited 01-16-2009 03:56
You are  probably right with your assessment of the situation, but you haven't been with that company for long. You are the new kid on the block and you can expect some BS from someone that has low self-esteem.

The chap probably feels like everyone is talking about him and his failure to pass the examinations. He needs someone he can "pick on" to feel better about himself and "tag, you're it" my friend.

As mentions by CT, in a pleasant way tell him that you are capable of fixing your own welds and that you would appreciate the opportunity to learn from your "mistakes". Ask him to show you what you did wrong so you won't repeat them a second time or at least you will know what "skills" you need to "improve". In other words, schmooze the SOB. I bet your "reject" rate will drop dramatically when he has to point out the problems and explain how they don't meet the acceptance criteria.

Welcome to the "School of Life".

As for him inspecting the work; as long as he doesn't accept the CAWI credential, he's free to do what ever tasks the employer assigns to him. However, if he accepts the CAWI credential, he is bound to the code of ethics as is any inspector carrying AWS credentials.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 01-16-2009 04:46
You don't have to be a CWI to be an inspector. They can pretty much designate anybody they want to be an inspector. I was on a job last year, there were 3 inspectors on the job, none were CWI's. I was the only CWI on the job and I was welding! :)
One of them failed 3 times.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Man Fails CWI test but is still inspecting