Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certification by process question
- - By 1fastguy (**) Date 01-17-2009 15:22
Need a little clarification. If a welder is certified for AWS D17.1 aerospace code for aluminum 1/4 thick 5083 base metal using 5356 weld rod, is the certification process specific? What I mean to say is if a welder is certified for that alloy and thickness and the certification is done with GTAW does that mean he can only weld with GTAW Or can he use GMAW achieving  the same results but using a different process? I know that they should follow the WPS. But I was just wondering if that would disqualify the process?
Parent - By motgar (**) Date 01-17-2009 18:36
Generally speaking but, if I remember right;  When the welder changes process it is considered an essential variable change.  So if the welder did the test and is certified for GTAW, then the welder is not certified for GMAW.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-17-2009 18:58 Edited 01-17-2009 19:02
Fast guy

Welder performance quals for D17 are based on process and material.

if the process changes....... requal

if the material changes (from one of the numbered catagories to another)... requal

So to answer your question... Yes a qualified GTAW welder must seperatly be qualified by testing before he/she may do GMAW on the same material.

Furthermore, Under D17  the procedures must also be requalified if a change in process occurs.  to truly comply with the code... If a process change is directed for any reason (good or bad) it means the WPS must be rewritten and qualified by testing... There are no pre-qualified procedures ... so just changing the wording in a WPS is insufficient.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certification by process question