Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Undercut
- - By cdd (**) Date 01-19-2009 14:56
I weld pipeline and know the 1104 code pretty well but would like to ask some of you inspectors how much undercut, if any, is allowed on the bead inside the pipe when testing welders? The test is half a 42".
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 01-19-2009 17:38
cdd;
According to API 1104 9.3.11, the combined length of both internal and external undercut shall not exceed 2" in any continuous 12" of weld. And according to API 1104 6.4, which is for Welder Qualification, the depth of undercut adjacent to cap weld shall not be more than 1/32" or 12.5% of the pipe wall thickness; whichever is smaller, in depth and be no longer than 2" in any 12" of continuous weld. I am new to interpreting the code and have alot to learn. If I am incorrect, I would appreciate any clarification on the matter. I hope this helps. Have a good day.

Matt
Parent - By cdd (**) Date 01-19-2009 22:12
Thanks for the response. That is what I read out of my 1104 also. I just needed some clarification because I had an inspector bust me on some undercut that was about a dimes length and wouldnt allow us to use 1/8"s for any repair spots and I couldnt push it out with a 5/32. Thanks for the help.
Parent - - By raptor34 (**) Date 01-20-2009 01:53
I dont have my code book handy but when testing to 1104 all the acceptance standards change, for instance burn through goes from 3/16'' to none and ip goes from 1'' to none, I havent had to ever look up the undercut issue when testing but I would expect that it would be considerably less than what is allowed for a production weld. Aslo the code says tests must be of a professional workmanship, which to my interpretaion is that if something is not specified in writing it is up to the inspector.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 01-20-2009 02:51
raptor34 and dbigkahunna;
Thanks for the food for thought. I had not considered this option. I enjoy this thread because it gives me a chance to utilize the code in a semi real world situation. In API 1104 9.2; Rights of Rejection, it states that the company can reject a weld if, in its opinion, the the depth of the imperfection would be detrimental to the weld; even if it passes all other acceptance criteria. I believe this is geared towards NDE inspection but with Visual being accepted as an NDE technique in 9.1, I thought it may qualify. I may be wrong. I am a new CWI and have not had the chance to use the code in the real world yet. Thanks again.

Matt
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-20-2009 21:47
[deleted]
Parent - By cdd (**) Date 01-21-2009 01:13
Thanks for all yalls input.
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-22-2009 21:06
I read this forum everyday and rarely ever have anything to say. I must have drank way too much caffeine today since this is like six posts for me. My take on any discontinuities, including EU or IU (external or internal undercut), comes straight out of sec. 9. I don't want an unnecessary repair which could lead to a cut out. If it meets standard then let it be. I convey this to the inspectors. If they want to run off a welder I like them to call me first.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Undercut