Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Visual Inspection Question
- - By gmram120 Date 12-14-2001 23:00
I would be interested in knowing how any of you that are using D1.1 2000 Sec. 4.0 Part C, Performance Qualification, deal with the visual inspection.

Of course 4.30.1 refers to 4.8.1 for acceptance criteria. My question concerns paragraph 3 which states; "The face of the weld shall be flush with the surface of the base metal…. The last sentence in paragraph 3 goes on to state that; "Weld reinforcement shall not exceed 1/8".

Now according to my dictionary there are no less then 20 definitions of the word "flush". Such as "to make level or even", "making an even or unbroken line or surface", "being even or on the same line or plane" and, " in an even manner; so as to be level or in alignment". A.W.S. does not define their use of it anywhere that I can find.

So my question is, how can any weld bead that is not absolutely flat be flush? In other words, how can any reinforcement be allowed at all if the face of the weld is to be flush with the surface of the base metal? Which definition should apply and how would I defend it?

Also in regards to the amount of undercut allowed. Is the 1/32" that is allowed measured in any direction or is it just the depth? Is it just undercut between the weld toe and the base metal or does it include undercut into an adjacent weld also.

In general, I feel this paragraph needs to be more specific, it leaves way to much to individual interpretation. Anyway, like I said, I'd be interested in your comments.
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 01-17-2002 00:17
I'm not a "certified" inspector, but have done my fair share of QA inspections...."Flush is the minimum that the groove, or slot weld can be welded to... normally not an allowed end result on a groove weld unless the print specifies that the Finish should be flush...Yes cap height is a 1/8" max, although some inspectors don't carry a cap height gage. ASME is even weirder...their cap height varies as the schedule and diameter increases. Undercut, well I don't like to see it much, actually at all, but I do go by the book on that one and any inspector that looks at my welds doesn't give me much grief, because I don't leave undercut there.(in the weld area)
regards,
John
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 01-17-2002 00:44
Flush equates to filling the groove area in it's entirety. The reinforcement dimension is separate from that of the "flush" dimension, which in this case is 1/8" maximum.

These are two distinct locations of the welded joint.
Parent - By - Date 01-17-2002 08:26
Well put.
Mankenberg
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Visual Inspection Question