Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Just Finished school, What now?
- - By Clare Marie Date 01-20-2009 01:13
I just finished a two year welding program. The program focused on Pipe welding in MIG, TIG, and stick and I feel like I learned a ton, but I just finished and I am not sure what direction I should take. I feel like my welding skills are adequate (could definitely improve) but my biggest concern is getting to a job and not knowing what I am doing. I was thinking about starting as a helper or trying to get an apprenticeship. My welding instructor didn't seem to keen on Unions. So I have a few questions. 1st) What do you all think about female helpers. Is it going to be harder for me to find a welders helper position. And 2nd) Do any of you have advice on apprenticeships.
I really enjoy welding and I feel like I have a lot more to learn. My goal is to get into a position where I can learn as much as I can.
Thanks for the advice 
Parent - By 63 Max (***) Date 01-20-2009 01:37
Your best bet would be to try and find a helpers position.  If you can handle a 9" grinder you will be ok. Helping will show you the ropes and give you the know how to become a rig welder. Keep practicing on your pipe welding also. It may be harder for a women to find a helpers position but dont take no for an answer. It may be a month before things pick up but the work should be there. Where are you located? Once you get on as a helper start rigging out a truck so you will be ready. It's not cheap so this may take alittle time. Good Luck
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-20-2009 01:46
Hello Clare Marie, first off, welcome to the forum. There are many folks from all different parts of the pipe trades on here and they will certainly give you terrific suggestions for approaching your goals. You are correct in your thinking that you have essentially just started a journey that will likely take you anywhere you want to go and won't end until you decide to let it. If you do some searching on this forum on the topic of "getting started" you will probably find enough reading to keep you busy for quite some time. Whether it be a start in a union situation or a non-union one it's never necessarily a bad idea to start at the bottom and work your way up. Ability, drive, skills, and respect, are components of one's skill sets that can add immensely to how readily and successfully one will progress in their choice of vocation. For some, being in the right place at the right time is all that is required to have a fast and successful start, for others it isn't quite so easy. Many of these variables might come from your geographical location, the types and amounts of work that are happening around you, your willingness to move, go to, or follow work, I believe you probably get the idea. So do a little searching of past postings, keep tuned to this thread, and good luck on your start in a challenging and rewarding career. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 01-20-2009 03:40
Well welcome Clare. If your willing to work and learn and not have an attitude about things you will do alright.  I am not saying this due to your gender, its the same advice I give to everyone starting out.  I don't have a whole lot of work experience but I have built a reputation of being a hard worker, showing up on time ready to work, and always willing to learn.  It has gotten me jobs just on that.  As long as you can pass a weld test and have those qualities you will be able to get a job. 

I don't reccomend jumping rate into 100% x-ray quality jobs rate out of school.  Thats just my opinion and you will always have others saying just the opposite and that if you don't you will not know for sure.  But if you get in a non x-ray job and learn how things work and practice your skills in the feild and think your comfortable then go for it.  When I got out of school I knew I could weld and pass a weld test.  When I hit the feild and got a few welds where I couldn't get a grinder into I realized how green I actually was/am.

Bottom line, go get your experience as a helper or as a welder.  If your taking a job as a welder make sure the foreman knows as soon as you meet him that your on your first job.  Human resourses does not always relay the message, plus if your foreman is a good guy he will put you with someone who has been around a whilie and will help you out. 

Thats just my 2cents. Good luck.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2009 08:02
There's nothing better than a bonafide apprenticeship program to put you on the right track toward a good future.

The economy being what it is, everyone is hunkering down to wait out the storm, but it will pass and they will be looking for skilled people.

I don't care what trade you elect to pursue, they all need skilled tradespeople with welding skills. The apprenticeship training will be a continuation of what you started to learn in school. There is a lot more to welding that simply running beads on plate or around a pipe. The apprenticeship program will give you experience and additional training needed to pursue a career in a trade.

I'm partial to the union apprenticeships for a number of reasons. One of which is the completion rate seems to be higher with the unions than with the open shops. With the union, you will be working with several contractors, so if one stumbles onto hard times, there is another one you can be placed with so your training doesn't come to a standstill. I say this because my nephew has started three "apprenticeship" programs with open shops and the programs terminated as soon as the companies fell on hard times. Each time he started over with a new employer and wasn't credited with the time spent with a previous employer.

I served my apprenticeship with the Ironworkers Union. I bounced from one project to another, one contractor to another, but I never lost time or credit in doing so. I've never regretted being a union member. I no longer work in the trades, but it was an experience and education that has served me well.

The choice of going union or open shop is a personal choice. Different people have different goals in life and the decisions you make now will influence how successful and how happy you are years from now. What ever your decision, consider the long term consequences of your choice.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By LINCOLNCHIC (**) Date 01-20-2009 13:19
Sending a sister Props, My husband once told me that years back one of the best welders he worked with on that job was a woman.. My uncle has been with local 798 for 30yrs, Had said at one time they had alot of women start out with them as helpers and were paid very well. You can learn alot from these older guys.. Im 35 and just learning, been around welders all my life. but im very much a visual learner, but i also like to pick the brains of the welders im around.. I wish you the best of luck, but hey your a chic so anything you put your heart & soul in you can do.... also where abouts are you located?
Parent - By Clare Marie Date 01-21-2009 20:15
Thanks Lincolnchic,
I appreciate your support. Also the projects you posted are great. Keep it up!
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 01-20-2009 13:14
Clare Marie,
I agree with the apprentice program direction and I went through one, prior to getting my degree in Welding Engineering.  What part of the country are you in?   The reason I ask is that I am partial to the 4 year programs that the US Navy has.  Of course you need to be near a naval shipyard.  The reason I would recommend the Navy programs is the complete coverage of the welding field.  You will get experience in all phases of welding, not just structural (Ironworkers), piping (Pipefitters) or others.  During my apprenticeship I welded on everything from cast iron water piping, from a 3 wheeled scooter to nuclear piping with GTAW in a Class A clean environment.  It is not widely understood, but the Government is the only major industry that considers welding a trade.  That may bring on some disagreement, but if you look most industry they consider welding a "tool of the trade".  Catch an Ironworker welder welding on pressure piping on a job site and see what happens.

The training is unmatched in the shipyard apprentice programs.  This is a civil service (civilian) operation.  You are not in the navy, but would work in a naval shipyard.  To do anything related to welding you must be qualified on that process/procedure.  Qualifications are required even for oxy-fuel cutting carbon arc gouging and you get excellent training before being put out in one of the shops or onboard a ship.  Puget Sound Naval Shipyard is where I did my apprenticeship and you can check it out at

www.psns.navy.mil/StudentTraineeProgram
Current pay scale is as follows:
Phase 1
  WG-01   $14.21/hr - Approx. 6 months
  WG-03   $16.66/hr - Approx. 6 months
  WG-05   $19.15/hr - Upon successful completion of first year

Phase 2
  WG-05   $19.15/hr - Normally 2 years with step increases

Phase 3
  WG-08   $22.85/hr - Normally 1 year with step increases

Upon successful completion of the Apprentice Program
  WG-10   $24.60/hr

Not bad for going to school and getting paid at the same time.  I belive you start at 13 days vacation and 13 days sick leave the first year with the vacation going up with longivity.

Check it out.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 01-20-2009 13:41
Don't worry about getting a helper job, jump right into welding with both feet, that's the quickest way to learn. Welders are so scarce right now that most places will try to find a spot where they can use whatever skills you have. We have guys on the job right now that are only allowed to do socket welds, but they're still getting a check...
Parent - - By 63 Max (***) Date 01-20-2009 23:47
I'm surprised there's anywhere that dosen't have enough welders right now. Altho I've been busy all winter with the company I work for, I know a few other companies around us that have their welders laid off right now.
Parent - By WeldingChat.com (**) Date 01-21-2009 16:47
Clare Marie
Networking is the way to go, talk to welders you know and keep working on it. We recently started something new at WeldingMedia.com, where you can add your resume and welding profile. Do check us out and these days no amount of networking is enough to find that first job...

Good luck
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 01-21-2009 19:35
Please consider applying at the NASSCO Shipyard here in San Diego.  They will train you for ship welding - and the work they do is outstanding.

Bob Garner
Parent - - By Clare Marie Date 01-21-2009 20:11
Thank you all for your advice. I know it's something I am just going to have to jump into, I just want to choose the best path. You all have given me a lot of good information. I am in Asheville, NC now but I am going to be moving to Portland, Oregon soon. There is a shipyard there I believe.  I plan on staying in Portland for a year or so and then I am willing to go anywhere.  I really want to work shut downs, eventually. So I would like to get some kind of work that is going to help me get on the job expierence while improving my welding skills.
Thanks again. I really enjoy these forums. There is so much information to be had.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-21-2009 20:53
Hello Claire Marie, when you get to Portland you might want to post something to remind those of us who live near there to provide you with some possible job prospects. There are a few of the regulars who aren't too far from that locality. We might be able to give you some names to check on for work. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DKUMPUNEN (*) Date 01-27-2009 01:57
     CLAIR MARIE,

I work at INGALLS SHIPYARD in PASCAGOULA,MISSISSIPPI[NOTHROP GRUMANN SHIP SYSTEMS].They are
looking for structural welders right now.They are very short on skilled people.Your amount of training
would put you ahead of a lot of people they are hiring.I go to a mens group on tuesday nites and they
hired a man with no welding experience at 18.40 an hour.You must have done some welding already.
   I am an inspector for a subcontractor supporting US NAVY inspection.I retired from US NAVY civil
service MAY 1,2008 with 43 years.You can look up NGSS PASCAGOULA on your computor.

DONK
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Just Finished school, What now?