Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Part B fillet welds mock ups warped
- - By 6gwelder Date 01-20-2009 02:13
Hi you all again, thanks for your previous input, I almost forgot: on the practical test (B), the plastic mock up plates, were warped due to the original metal plates heat,not like they show you in the text books. when I was measuring the weld size I had a hard  time on the fillet welds,  because the plates were not at exactly 90 degrees to each other they were at about 80 degrees my question is how do you correctly measure those fillet welds with the fillet gage.     Thanks again      Roy            PS my retest is in a couple weeks
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 01-20-2009 03:47 Edited 01-20-2009 03:50
6gwelder
One way is to turn the fillet gage so that it is closer to parallel to the length of the weld, rather than perpendicular. This way the gage is right up against the toe of the weld, and therefore not affected by the angle of the plates as much. Keep in mind though that by turning the fillet gage at this angle, only the leg can be checked, so this method works good for convex fillets, but doesn't work so well with concave fillets. Also as a side note, remember to check both legs of the fillet when checking weld size. I'm sure others are willing to share some creative methods of getting around this common problem.

Jason
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2009 07:39
You are on the mark Jason.

I don't remember the plastic replicas being that "bad". But you never know what you are going to run into and its nice to have some experience in how to handle such situations.

Best regards - Al 
Parent - - By 6gwelder Date 01-21-2009 16:01
Thanks flamin an of course Al,.....When I was measuring this fillet replicas, I had a hard time measuring perpendicular,I saw a gap in the gage, between either plate, if I laid tha gage flat to one side , the other side had a gap, this time Ill follow flamin's advice.    Thanks again......
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 01-21-2009 16:07
You're welcome.
Parent - By PFQC Date 01-25-2009 03:28
When I had that problem, I found it was easier to use the machinist's rule included in the kit. There was one test sample in particular that was warped badly.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Part B fillet welds mock ups warped