Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Nice Job JRW159
- - By ctacker (****) Date 01-21-2009 02:29
Just saw the fraudulant stamp you turned in on page 23, Inspection trends mag.
Nice Job!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-21-2009 14:30
Thank you Sir!! I do not have my copy yet as they still go to my CO address, but I will look online.
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 01-21-2009 15:52
I was not aware that you were involved in the AWS publications....... Nice!!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-21-2009 15:59 Edited 01-21-2009 16:04
I am not involved in any way with the publications. I was simply involved in exposing this person and company. Here is a link to the thread that started this.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=113675;hl=Bogus%20inspector

I would also like to pass on kudo's to Pipeslayer for originally bringing this to light so that the issue could be addressed.

jrw159 :-)

EDIT: I would also like to thank ALL from AWS that were, and currently are involved with the persuit of this matter, as well as all who gave input and advice on how to handle this.
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 01-21-2009 16:05
I do recall that discussion. It's good to see that the issue is taken seriously.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 01-23-2009 13:07
I read the article last night,good job!I'm glad some of the things we talk about on this forum are coming to the forefront.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-23-2009 13:44
A rubber stamp is a lot cheaper than the $800 CWI exam.  Maybe I'll go get me one of them today. LOL

For real though:  Could the guy that was posing as a CWI be charged legally with anything?  I could see if he was frauding the Gov't, but since he was "inspecting" for a private company would there be any other ramifications than a smack on the hand and making the company look incompetent.
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 01-25-2009 06:14
I think a civil suit is probably the most likely. I'm not aware of any criminal penalties for impersonating a CWI, but then I'm not a lawyer. Its possible there are criminal penalties attached if the company he was working for is doing heavily regulated work, like fabricating components for bridges. Its possible that the company he worked for could be sued if customers were led to believe they were buying professionally credentialed inspection of the work, or even work to a certain code. I would bet his stamp on the WPQ's throws them into some dispute.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-25-2009 15:30
There is a link to their website in the other thread. They list process pipeing among other things. I would venture to say that if their customers find out they will have their hands full, and I would NOT want to be in his or their shoes.

Let alone if there is a failure resulting in property damage, injury, or God forbid, loss of life that could be associated with work inspected by him.

Lets just say, he might get off with a slap on the wrist, or that $40.00 stamp could end up costing him/them their asses. I personaly hope for the latter.

jrw159
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-25-2009 16:01
I'm gonna have to look them up soon.  I take my test next week in Denver.  I have a feeling that the company in question j u s t   m i g h t need some CWIs soon.  HAHAHA
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 01-25-2009 19:11
Yep. I think your assessment is spot on. Any pressure containing equipment has very high standards of construction, which would include inspection to all relevant codes by qualified inspectors. I think the best case scenario is stated in the letter from BP at the beginning of the Inspection Trends article - a case where the false credential was caught before actually putting a unit in service. A tremendous amount of high pressure work to redo the documentation and spot any problems. Worst case is as you say, something fails catastrophically and there is loss of life involved. In that case, the viability of the company is at extreme risk and if it were shown they took part in the fraud, their odds of staying in business are not much better than zero. The inspector himself? Well you can't get blood from a turnip so a lot of companies wouldn't bother, but I have seen a case where the customer did just for punitive reasons. And the claim there was negligence, not fraud, the inspector was properly credentialed.

Let me add my thanks to the others here. I welded for approximately 30 years before recently moving to the inspection side of the business, and I do appreciate your efforts. They benefit every holder of the CWI credential. In my area, Houston, a CWI is probably the most respected of any of the NDE credentialing and its people like you and the other guys here that make it so through a lot of hard work and dedication to the profession.   
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-26-2009 14:21
Good job JRW!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Nice Job JRW159