Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / P91 Structure
- - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-21-2009 15:54
Gents,
I have just received replica results of a P91 flange and P91 pipe.
The pipe shows full martensitic structure and "normal" hardness, but the flange shows a mixed structure and is overall very soft.

What can have caused this?
At this moment I await the PWHT chart...

EDIT: The flange has been Q and T.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-22-2009 13:54
First of all mixed with what?
Probably ferrite.
However, there are number of things.
Low carbon, low nitrogen, to slow cooling. Two of them, all three. But probably too slow cooling from the normalize, allowing the carbon to diffuse and form ferrite instead of martensite. Ferrite is a diffusion mechanism. Martensite a shear mechanism. Slow down the cooling allow the C to diffuse and you get ferrite even in higher alloys like Grade 91. 
This can be a problem especially with thicker sections like flanges. The heat dissipating from the inside slows down the cooling of the outside. Some alloys (self tempering) use this. Its not good for Grade 91.
Its also possible the normalizing was too low in temp or too short, or both, and didn't allow the carbon enough time or enough diffusion to go into solution completely. Carbon has to be in solution to force more of the FCC of autensite to become the HCP of martensite instead of the BCC of ferrite.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-22-2009 14:50
js55,

The flange will be metallurgical investigated next week, with replica taken 1-2mm below the surface.
I can easily imagine the slow cooling is the cause of the problem.

To be honest, I cant see what the structure consist of, but I can say for sure that it is not 100% martensite.

Well......experts has been called on site, this is a bit out of my league :)

Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-22-2009 17:28
ANother question.
ARe you sure you have a Grade 91 flange.
Did you PMI for V and Nb? A dead give away for 91 over 9 chrome.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-23-2009 06:21
I did not PMI the flange, but heat numbers match (cert/flange)

Tests will be done on monday.

Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-26-2009 11:18
Material cert. show no sign of V
Samples are on the way to a lab right now.

Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 01-23-2009 01:12
It's possible the lower critical temp was exceeded during the PWHT or the tempering step, or quenching step was too slow.  This would allow some tranformation of martensite to ferrite during PWHT or tempering, or incomplete martensite formation during quenching.  The PWHT chart should tell the story.  May need to check recorder calibration also.  The only way to correct is completely re-normalize the part and repeat Q & T step correctly.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-23-2009 06:25
PWHT was performed according to spec!
Calibration certs was reviewed and accepted before they started PWHT.

I am sure that its a flange issue, the pipe, which is welded to the flange has fine hardness and structure.

I am also 99% sure that it is a surface problem, I did a hardness test with "Ernst hammer" and it showed correct hardness.

I will know for sure on Monday :)

Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 01-24-2009 02:56
Good point on the surface condition.  We have had a number of "low" hardness readings that turned out to be a decarburized surface layer.  This would show up on a replica also as a ferrite microstructure.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-26-2009 11:19
It actually got softer 2mm below surface.

Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 01-28-2009 05:00 Edited 01-28-2009 05:03
Ouch!  Was this with telebrinnel hardness tester or one of the portable rebound testers?  What were the hardness values?  Is the flange forged material?
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-28-2009 06:20
It was done with Eqotip (dynamic load) and Ernst Hammer.
Yes it is forged.

At a closer look at the material cert, I observed that the PWHT during making of the flange most likely was done wrong.
The flange was QT, but the material standard calls for NT......but you are allowed to cool it from normalizing temp. with oil :O
In my limited metallurgical understanding that would create the same effect as QT.

Well, I am just watching from the side line, experts has been called in :)

Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-29-2009 03:17
Some steels do not harden really deeply, at 2mm [.08"] depth You could be getting into the less hard "core" of the part. Surface decarburization should only affect the outer surface, less than 0.5MM.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-29-2009 06:37
Dave,

I see your point!
But as this is P91 it should have martensitic structure, which it has not.

My guess is to low carbon content, I still wait for final report from the metallurgical experts :)

Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-30-2009 02:23
Keep Us posted. :-)
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-30-2009 15:00
Carbon is the most potent austenite former, critical for martensite formation. But the lower end allowed by spec should be enough to produce 100% martensite with a proper normalizing.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 03-08-2009 16:39
Any answers yet from the experts?
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 03-09-2009 08:42
Sorry for my late reply....
No further test was performed, since hardness was low and the structure was different from P91 the flange got cut out and replaced.

Most likely due to low carbon content.

Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / P91 Structure