Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 procedures
- - By aehardy Date 12-17-2001 15:04
Is it acceptable per D1.1 for structural steel to use welding procedures qualified per ASME Section IX.
Parent - By George-kh (**) Date 12-17-2001 18:16
NO.
Regards
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 12-17-2001 20:59
D1.1 does not let you use procedures qualified to ASME Sec. IX per se, but there is no reason you can't use the essential variables recorded from the ASME Sec. IX qualification and re-write a procedure that uses the AWS D1.1 ranges of qualification, etc. In other words, a procedure qualified to ASME Sec. IX is not necessarily qualified to AWS D1.1 also, but the same test, if it conforms to the requirements of both codes, could be used to support a procedure writtten to either code.

G. Roberts
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-18-2001 13:41
As indicated in the above post
NO, however you can document the variables and perform the testing in accordance with both codes and prepare 2 WPS's from one PQR. This same concept can apply to welder qualification.

In general the requirements for qualifying a WPS for D1.1 are more restrictive than for ASME Sec IX.
AWS however does allow the use of prequalified procedures which only require that they be written in accordance with the requirements set forth in D1.1. Most welding that I deal with can be covered with prequalified WPS's.

It's a shame that the qualification of welders and procedures cannot be organized into one standard accepted by all industry.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 12-18-2001 22:15
The paragraph references are likely different in the current D1.1, but there was a D1.1 inquiry on this in 1990 that said:

Question: May the Engineer accept qualification of welders qualified to other codes?

Reply: Yes. See C5.4.2 (D1.1-86) or C5.4.3 (D1.1-92).

This means that the "Engineer" (i.e. the building designer) can specify that ASME IX qualified welders are acceptable (such as in the fab spec, drawings, letter, or other means).

Marty
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 12-18-2001 23:06
Please note that you are quoting from the commentary section of this code.

The Engineer has always had the authority to modify or waive certain requirements of the code. Not sure if this applies to "prohibited" sections of the code. In the past, an Engineer wouldn't dare waiving anything prohibited in this code.

An Engineer may use an ASME WPS if He/She deems it acceptable.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 12-19-2001 03:25
Actually I was quoting from an official interpretation of AWS D1.1. The D1 committee was referring the sender of the inquiry to the Commentary. I'm not sure what "prohibited" sections of D1.1 you are referring to, but I agree with what you are saying in general.

Marty
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 12-20-2001 20:30
Hey MB,
The reason I mentioned the commentary section of the D1.1 is because that section starts with a CXX.

There are some sections of the code that prohibit certain welds or designs (e.g. Section 2.27). I see your quoting from older revisions of the D1.1. Most are using the 98/2000 code. Many architects specifications require the most current revision to be used even if the contracts were inked 12 months before. Hmm.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 12-20-2001 21:19
When this interpretation was published, those were the editions the inquirer was asking about or the D1 Committee used in developing a response. The answer is still valid for the current edition although the paragraph numbers have changed. Here is what the D1.1-2002 Commentary says in C4.15:

"There are general stipulations applicable to any situa-
tion. The acceptability of qualification to other standards
is the Engineer’s responsibility to be exercised based on
the specific structures and service conditions. The Struc-
tural Welding Committee does not address qualification
to any other welding standard."

This still leaves the decision to the Engineer for acceptance of qualifications performed to other codes.

Hope this helps,
Marty
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 procedures