Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GMAW ER70S-3 a low hydrogen wire?
- - By shut_em_down Date 12-18-2001 13:14
Can anyone tell me where to find in AWS D1.1 a reference to GMAW ER70S-3 filler metal as being classified as a low hydrogen electrode? I know that I have seen a chart or reference to that either in the main body of D1.1 or in one of the appendices, but I cannot not find it now that I need it.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-18-2001 13:50
I don't have a current code with me but this may help.

The process is low hydrogen since there is little to no hydrogen added by the welding process.

The wire if properly cared for and stored is low hydrogen since no moisture is present in the coating or wire.

Rusted wire would make the process not "Low Hydrogen".
Moisture and/or rust in the weld area could also increase the hudrogen content.

The "low hydrogen" requirement is applied to SMAW electrodes due to the fact that some of the coating contain materials that produce hydrogen. The material specification for carbon steel SMAW electrodes actually lists certain electrodes as "Low Hydrogen".

An old code book I have (90) indicates the following for filler metals

SMAW
4.1.5.1 .......using an e70XX or e-70xx-x low hydrogen electrode.

GMAW

4.1.5.3........ may be made using an E-70S-x electrode.

Good Day
Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-18-2001 16:26
GMAW will provide a "low-hydrogen" weld deposit. The electrode or process itself is not low-hydrogen.
Parent - - By pdweldor (*) Date 12-18-2001 19:37
In Annex XI of D1.1 2000, the section on Hydrogen control states, in paragraph 16.2.2 (b) that GMAW with clean solid wires is considered to be a H1, extra low hydrogen level process.

Also, in table 3.2 on prequalified preheat and interpass temperature, GMAW is grouped with low hydrogen SMAW.

Regards.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 12-18-2001 23:22
Hope to get more input by others on this subject without going overboard like someone else did earlier. My thoughts were this section of the code refers to the as-welded metal deposit made by these processes (hence my previous response.)

I have a letter from the AWS (unofficial) that states the term low-hydrogen was intended for SMAW electrodes specifically. I agree that the original definition of this term pertained to the H content of the electrode coating. But I also think it should be applicable to any process that uses a flux.

This term referred to the H content of the coating. This term gets kicked around quite a bit in reference to damn near anything welding related these days. If any of you building inspectors have a project (before you start typing-this is a theoretical project) where the contractor wishes to weld a moment frame with GMAW, good luck trying to get that joint approved by the building department, at least in seismic zones 3 or 4.

Another good response below.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-18-2001 23:47
Please explain why GMAW would be restricted. Without going overboard of course.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 12-19-2001 00:25
1. Restricted - ?

2. I was referring to another individual who repeated postings on low-hydogen and rod ovens and AWS. The one who annoyed the users of this site and they basically told the individual to give it a rest (please don't pull his cord again Pipe-W).

Wording can be everything when you are looking a a page of text and not interfacing with an individual or group face to face.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-19-2001 00:39
1) I'm not familar with any building work. Are there restrictions on using GMAW in seismic application beyond those in D1.1?

2) I remember the rod oven, hydrogen episode. I thought maybe it was me. I get a little long winded on some issues.

Good Day

Gerald AUstin
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-19-2001 03:40
1. The Engineers (in building construction) refer to "low-hydrogen" electrodes on their drawings or specs. This is referring in the same manner as the letter I mentioned from AWS, it pertains specifically to SMAW electrodes. Keep in mind the AWS (their employees) may differences in opinions amongst themselves when it comes to the intent or definition of anything.

2. We are all getting long winded as we get older, it must be that Iuka air over on that side. (Been to that city many times. Nice, but not for me.) Good day to you too PW.
Parent - By R. Johnson (**) Date 12-18-2001 23:21
The gas used for shielding should have a dew point of -40F or lower. Contaminated sheilding gas could also cause your process to not be "low hydrogen". If in doubt get your gas supplier to provide certifications meets the dew point requirements.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GMAW ER70S-3 a low hydrogen wire?