Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My latest project
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-24-2009 02:10 Edited 01-24-2009 02:16
Here is a handrail we just completed today. The client had some more seasoned folks living in this condo and wanted them to have some railing for the icey weather. We used gloss black powder coat to match the existing lamp posts. Told the guy who bid the job we should have put just a small decorative piece in the centers of the small sections, but still very happy with how they turned out. finished off the railing on the guardrail today and client contacted my buddy and said he loved the look, hopefully when his wife "inspects" the finished product she'll feel the same. The last pic is one my wife took of me.....man, really need to talk to that hair club for men!!! Or buy stock in the welding beanies!!
Attachment: 100_5519.JPG (0B)
Attachment: 100_5515.JPG (0B)
Attachment: 100_5514.JPG (0B)
Attachment: 100_5517.JPG (0B)
Attachment: 100_5522.JPG (0B)
Attachment: 100_5509.JPG (0B)
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 01-24-2009 02:45
Very nice work.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-24-2009 03:04
Those are freakin' nice.  Now that I "know" someone that has done something like this, I might have to tap your mind.  I should have posted this question before now, but I am a world class procrastinator. 

OK, here is a little runup to the question.  I am a cheap prick (as well as broke).  My wife in her brilliance realized that I am a welder and should be able to build a wraught iron, steel or aluminum fence to go around my pool.  The wood fence I have is about gone.  Wood is the crappiest building material.  All that should be made out of that shi* is trees and number 2 pencils.  Yet I digress.  Not only am I a procrastinator, I think I have A.D.D too.

Anyways.  Do any of you know of where one might by similar steel or aluminum tube, finials, etc for a Do-It-Yourself fence project?  As well as where one might find city code requirements?  Also is there a good way to estimate the cost of such an endeavour?

Thanks
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 01-24-2009 03:31
You might want to check at Home depot or Menards. I got some 6 foot panels on close out up here in Minnesota for less than the materials. The paint was crap but the panels are decent enough.  The local zoning office should have a mailer with the regulations as to upright spacing and heights req. I always wanted to build a complicated fence out of bigger pipe, maybe someday.

Dave
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-24-2009 04:05 Edited 01-24-2009 04:09
Everything you ever wanted in custom fencing/architectural supplies: steel, cast iron, aluminum...
kingmetals.com
Also, check with farriers (since your broke like me) and you can get horseshoes for free. Makes for some beautiful arbors for climbing roses and archways into the garden.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-24-2009 04:13 Edited 01-24-2009 04:42
Bryon,

This is where I buy my fancy stuff, http://www.kingmetals.com/ I can't find anyone local as a supplier so the shipping is kind of a pain. The few places around Nashville that have some stuff, well, they break out the King catalog and mark up the prices.....as should be since they would like to make money too.

I've been stocking up on 1.5"x1/8" sq tube for my porch. I painted it last year and before summer was up it was back to looking bad, not to mention the boring bees that chew holes in it. Got a surprise for them when I get the materials for the porch. I want to cap it with Brazilian redwood, supposed to be harder than concrete, cannot stain it.

Anyhow, the thing that I noticed about the handrail at home depot(which I noticed and inspected) is, well, in my opinion it don't look like it will hold up. I believe it is bolted or screwed together which in the long run would mean trouble. I have a bad addiction, I notice handrail everywhere I go, on tv, movies everything, something that really has captured me.

Estimating the cost, I sit with the client, talk about what they are looking for, show some pictures when I start getting ideas and so on. Take measurements. Then, just sit down in my office(kitchen table) and start drawing out sketches with the measurements until I have a good design. Then add up your measurements, finials, lambs tongues and so on and wala....priced out. Since your the welder no labor cost :-) I've made railing out of 1", 1.250, 1.5. One I did had a 2" newel post at the entrance and went into 1" with a handrail cap, actually I'll post that pic too. When you price out your steel, I get 20' sticks and to save money and have the least amount of drops I sit down with my drawings and figure out how much 1.5" I'll need and then start cutting them in my mind from 1 20' stick to get the max amount I can, or least amount of drops.

Codes- it's best to check with your local codes department but stairs are 34-36" for the handrail around here. On landings it is 42" for the guardrail. I suppose on a pool you'd want it 42" but that's just me thinking because it is more or less a landing. Your balister spacing is 4", no more. Can't have a 4" round ball fit through, so kids don't stick their heads through. I cut off a piece of 1/2" solid sq at 3 15/16" that I use for spacing. Most stuff from king is set up at that measurement. Spacing off the decking is the same, 4". Basically any openings, 4".

Aluminum- I guess that is good other than the price. When it comes to handrail I see no need in the extra expense unless your just dying to spend money. The handrail I did below the client wanted aluminum at first and I told her I was curious as to why? She said her fence in the back yard was aluminum, but it was powder coated black. I told her unless she just had to have it the expense was not worth it. I told her in my minds eye it offered nothing better than steel when it came to handrail. I told her on a truck bed where you would save weight, yes. If you were looking for a raw aluminum look, yes. The client picked the steel.

The last two pics are of a plant hanger I made, first one, handmade leaves from 16 gauge. I'm proud of that thing.

If you have any questions just message me, glad to help out any way I can.
Attachment: img064.jpg (0B)
Attachment: img065.jpg (0B)
Attachment: img011.jpg (0B)
Attachment: img012.jpg (0B)
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-24-2009 06:20
    Looks good.
    I built railings for My friends building, didn't fall under the 4" rule, but had to meet ADA. I used 1 1/4" sch 40 pipe with elbows & caps from King. The inspectors signed off on it, everybody was happy.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-24-2009 04:27
Bryon, also to save on the cost. Most of my stuff is sq tube all the way out. On this latest one we used 1.5"x1/8" channel for the upper and lower braces. Turn the channel down on the top and bottom and then cap it with a handrail cap. Saved a bit of money doing it this way. I've seen some that have just the handrail cap with the balisters just set inside of it and then a piece of channel at the bottom to attach the lower balisters.
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 01-24-2009 03:24
You do very clean work, Nice look.
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 01-25-2009 00:40 Edited 01-25-2009 19:08
Good looking job. Glad to see you're staying busy in our part of the world.  Oh yea get you some welding caps, they're a heckuva lot cheaper than H.C.F.M., so my friend says. lol
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-25-2009 10:59
Yeah, we got home and my wife says come look at the pictures I took of your handrail. So I sit down at the puter and pull up the pics and heres me and two bright spots in the picture! I told her WOW!! She says, what you did'nt know? I said no I usually don't get a chance to look back there!! Oh well, just less shampoo!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My latest project