Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / My boy...
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-24-2009 22:00
My boy has been asking me when he can get back down into the shop to start welding again, so I broke out the cables and some 6 month old 7018. Turned him loose, he's 8 by the way. I'd like to see him do more but figure out of my three kids he's likely the one to end up at a trade school so I might as well give him a head start. One thing for sure I'd rather him end up welding than turning wrenches....
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 01-24-2009 23:04
Thats cool.  I have four boys myself and my third is 9.  He is also very interested in welding any chance he gets to be out with me.  Keep up the good mentoring!
Parent - By old school pipe (**) Date 01-25-2009 02:38
Cool I have 5 boys none interested in welding though. However my nephew Andrew whom was born on my birthday is in welding school now! so it lives on and on
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-25-2009 02:44
How's the welds looking.  I have 3 daughters no boys.  I'm "guiding" them to law school and medical school.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-25-2009 10:49
he's moving along pretty quick but he has not welded in a few months, this is his second time. But by the time his arm got tired yesterday, I just let him burn rod til he don't want to anymore, he's keeping the rod close and can run a pretty long bead.....not the straightest but he's got good control. He's having a heck of a time starting the rod but noticed he was getting better.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-25-2009 03:46
    I was 8 when My Dad showed Me how to weld. By 9 I was able to start the hand crank machine and weld when I needed too. A few years later We got a transformer machine, much more convinient than rigging the exhaust pipe outside for the engine drive [it was stored inside].

Even if the kids don't weld for a living, it is worth their time to learn how.
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 01-25-2009 04:52
Cummings......Nice going! My 6 year old daughter is already watching me weld in the shop. She should be in your boy's shoes by eight as well. I doubt she'll look to welding for a living but the more time she spends with me the more solid the man she marries should be. I keep reminding her of the two "J's"- Jesus and a job!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-25-2009 10:54
That's cool! I had my daughter down there a few months ago. I had one kid on the stick(boy) and my daughter over pulling the trigger. Then they swapped up after awhile. Lot's of trying to spell your name and stuff. Don't want them to get to used to the mig though at this point.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / My boy...