Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Basic manufacturing welding standards
- - By klmathews Date 12-18-2001 23:27
I have been tasked with developing an in house welding standard for our company and I am looking for a model. I am not looking for AWS type detailed specifications or drafting standards. Right now I picture it as a "When welding tubing, avoid mitered joints..." or "Unless otherwise noted, all welds are 1/4" fillet..." type of document. I also believe we should rely on the years of experience and talents of our welder(s). If a seam weld is indicated, let the welder determine the size and spacing.

The work we do here is not rocket science. Nobody is driving in it, on it or around it. We design and build our own machines to process mail. My biggest concerns are productivity and accuracy. For instance, the current practice is to drill and tap all pieces of a weldment frame prior to welding. I would like to limit this practice because I believe it is at the root of some functional problems we have. If I can find some supporting documentation it would go a long way in making this change. As the new kid on the block, my word does not carry a lot of weight (yet).

Any support, links, notes, comments, papers would be helpful. Even if you think I'm off my noodle with this let me know!

ThanX
Parent - By weldingstill Date 12-19-2001 03:07
The best answer I have is "don't go there!.. " The forms recommened in the AWS starndards are not that complicated. Weld quality is important and you must know if your welding process and welders can perform to some sort of standard. How else are you going communicate what you want and need from the welders. The weld tests aren't rocket science. Doing basic desctructive tests are fundamental. Weld quality isn't automatic. Even experienced welders need to check their weld quality. You know the safety and liability of anything manufactured rest with the manufacturer "you". Is there a junior college around you that trains welders. Take a basic class and learn the fundamentals. Have fun!! Good luck :O)
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 12-19-2001 14:26
I think what you are asking for is known as an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) not to be confused with WPS (Welding Procedure Specification). The 2 can be combined in to one Doc.and work very well together but one can not replace the other.

SOPs can describe you guide lines for production where as the WPS must contain essential variables for welding.

Yes you should rely on there experience but you should still get it in writing other wise you have no standard to gage by nor training material for new hands.

Oh and have you considered Jigs & Fixtures in place of Drill & Tap. Sometimes a good clamping Fixture or Jig can not only hold the pieces together while welding but provide windows that designate where and how much weld to put down.

Hope this helps.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Basic manufacturing welding standards