Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Basic manufacturing welding standards
- By klmathews Date 12-18-2001 23:48
I have been tasked with developing an in house welding standard for our company and I am looking for a model. I am not looking for AWS type detailed specifications or drafting standards. Right now I picture it as a "When welding tubing, avoid mitered joints..." or "Unless otherwise noted, all welds are 1/4" fillet..." type of document. I also believe we should rely on the years of experience and talents of our welder(s). If a seam weld is indicated, let the welder determine the size and spacing.

The work we do here is not rocket science. Nobody is driving in it, on it or around it. We design and build our own machines to process mail. My biggest concerns are productivity and accuracy. For instance, the current practice is to drill and tap all pieces of a weldment frame prior to welding. I would like to limit this practice because I believe it is at the root of some functional problems we have. If I can find some supporting documentation would go a long way in making this change. As the new kid on the block, my word does not carry a lot of weight (yet).

Any support, links, notes, comments, papers would be helpful. Even if you think I'm off my noodle with this let me know!

ThanX
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Basic manufacturing welding standards