Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT inspections of 2-story moment frame structure
- - By hburg rocket (*) Date 01-27-2009 01:20
Our firm has been contracted to do the visual inspection on a 12,000 sf 2-story bar-joist/WF structure here in Jackson, Miss.  What we need is someone to do the NDT [PT? MT? UT?] testing of the full-pen welds at the moment connections.  The Architect contacted us today and says he needs an inspector "yesterday"... i.e. the full-pen welds will be ready for by this Thursday [Jan 29] a.m.!  I think there are about five frame lines x two bays [approx 100' x 60' total per floor].  We will get a copy of the structural plans and specs tomorrow [Tues].  Is anyone the least bit interested in this work?  Note - the Bldg Code is IBC 06, so the D1.1 '04 is applicable.

p.s.  There may also be some visual of the deck per D1.3, which I am not qual'd in.

Hburg Rocket, CWI
Jackson, MS
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-27-2009 05:03
If you are inspecting CJP groove welds for rigid frame moment connections I would think the engineer would specify UT. If you are using "paddle plates" for semi rigid connections I would expect the EOR to specify UT for the grooves and MT for the fillet welds. That's the engineer's responsibility, that is, to specify the type of NDT required. It isn't the inspection agency's responsibility to do so.

If you weren't so far away I would give you a call, but I have a commitment for the next week. It's warmer in Mississippi than there in N.E.!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT inspections of 2-story moment frame structure