Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plate Bevelers
- - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-27-2009 19:00
Anyone have some experience or know of good brands of plate bevelers?  We've recently had the need to do a large volume of plate beveling for some rather tight fit ups and the time investment doing them all by hand would more than pay for the precision and utility of a plate beveler. However they are a rather rare tool and I'm just having trouble finding information and suppliers.

Material thickness is 1/4" and may range up to 1/2"
Anyone have any good suggestions?
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 01-27-2009 19:07
There used to be a brand called Heck.  They are electric millers.  I don't have any experience with them
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-27-2009 19:39 Edited 01-27-2009 19:41
Hello Metarinka, I was on a job that required bevelling the edge of some 1" flat bar that was fitted into the corners of a fabricated roof beam to upgrade it's load carrying capacity. We were bevelling 20' pieces with the Heck bevellers. Close to a 1/2" bevel in one pass and relatively quickly. The only real drawback that I noticed was the cost of the inserts and if you didn't take care in how you replaced them you could strip out the heads of the retaining screws. All in all I was very impressed with their capabilities. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-27-2009 19:52
I found the website for Heck industries http://www.heckind.net/products.htm  thanks, I think I'll be putting in a req form for one of these machines soon. Doesn't seem like there's many practical options for beveling plate.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-27-2009 19:52
http://www.heckind.net/model.htm

edit: whoops, I typed too slow....you found it.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-27-2009 20:10
Although we don't need it for our particular application, do they make track bevelers?  Similar to track torches or welders? I feel like a track beveler that could complete V, U, or J grooves on both sides of the joint would be a real time saver in facilities that prepare a lot of plate.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-27-2009 20:27
They might, but I have only seen the hand held bevelers...a salesman came by our shop and demonstrated the plate beveler and the weld shaver.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 01-27-2009 22:51
The torch on our track-torch can be set to the required angle. I don't have a clue as to the brand as it has been in the shop forever.

Griff
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-27-2009 23:09
yah I'm familiar with track torches and using them to bevel plate as we did it in high volumes at my school.
That is a good option, but this is all stainless steel and other non-ferrous alloys, track torches won't touch them.
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 01-28-2009 00:08
If an O/A torch is a no go how about fitting one with a plasma torch then?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plate Bevelers