Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / I'm new to AWS/forums/welding.
- - By Joshua Fanene Date 01-28-2009 00:03
Hey, there. I am looking at options for a change in career. I just enrolled in an introductory class on welding at Laney College in Oakland, California. Anyhow, I have a million questions stewing, but for now I just want to say hello and will post more later. Greetings all!
Parent - By OBrien (***) Date 01-28-2009 00:14
Well welcome.  There are a lot of very smart people on here that are willing to help you out tons.  Don't worry about asking questions.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-28-2009 06:42
Hello Joshua, and to second OBrien's statement, Welcome. Take some time and check out some of the topics, the questions, answers, and other information and comments. I'm sure you will find all sorts of different things to keep your interest peaked and as I believe you said, give you more reasons to ask more questions. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-28-2009 15:39
Joshua,

Laney has an excellent reputation. I knew and worked with a number of the instructors there in the 80's and 90's. Even lectured there a time or two.

Laney has had good relationships with the trade unions... Pile drivers, Iron workers etc.

Unless things have changed drasticlly you are in very good hands.

Bring your questions and welcome!
Parent - By automobilexyz Date 07-21-2019 09:50
Hi

Me also New and After Long Time I am Back Here
- - By mariagarcia (*) Date 03-19-2019 07:22
The Certified Welder program is a performance-based program with no prerequisite courses or certifications required. There is a provision to test to a company-supplied or non-code welding specification. Tests for Certified Welder (CW) are performed at AWS Accredited Testing Facilities located throughout the world.
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 03-19-2019 18:12
Why in the world are you going through the forum and answering questions that were posted 10 years ago? Is this a class assignment or something?
- - By Nicky Blake Ker Date 07-11-2019 02:07
Hi there.

I just started teaching in a technical school and was asked to teach a new unit on Welding Quality Inspection & Control. I have very minimal knowledge and experience in this topic. I need help.

We are on Report Writing, i.e., Technical Report Writing on Welding Inspections. I would like to know if there are formats I can use?

Thanks
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 07-11-2019 11:24 Edited 07-11-2019 11:28
For structural steel, a good starting point, in my humble opinion, would be Table 6.1 and Table 9.16 of AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code- Steel. These tables show the visual acceptance criteria for welds. Also, Aisc 360 Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, Chapter N  Quality Control and Quality Assurance, which includes three tables... One for inspection tasks prior to welding, one for inspection tasks during welding, and one for inspection tasks after welding.

There are also a good bit of visual aids... power points that depict weld discontinuities online that I've found to be very helpful teaching aids.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-11-2019 11:51
A book that I have that the AWS published (my copy is 1980..LOL) is a pretty good place to get a general overall idea of a lot of various inspections regarding structural steel and welding in general. There may be a newer edition out, but this old one covers a lot of material on inspection.

Welding Inspection
AWS Second Edition 1980

Library of Congress#: 79-51872
ISBN: 0-87171-177-X
- - By cvthanse Date 08-01-2019 01:03
how do you disassemble a heavy duty  oxygen regulator? tried un screwing  front piece  wouldn't budge. need a impact wrench? problem is nipple that attaches to  cylinder is soldered on  it was leaking at this joint, I sawed the nipple off , now would like to desolder pipe  and thread for replacement  piece.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-01-2019 15:29
Send it out to an authorized dealer for a proper repair. Pure oxygen is not to be trifled with.

A new regulator is less expensive than a hospital stay or a funeral.

Just my opinion.

Al
- - By codyp1989 Date 12-10-2019 13:36
What does Std. Test No. stand for on page of 402 of d1.1 ???
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-10-2019 21:18
Cody,
The company giving the welding test appears to have assigned a number to the welding test that was given for the welder qualification. They did the same thing in Form M-5 on page 404

I have used TP1, TP2, etc...for standard welding qualification tests. I used "TP" to stand for Testing Procedure to signify the particular WPS that was used to take the test.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / I'm new to AWS/forums/welding.