Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / guidlines
- - By Lazaro Torrado Date 01-28-2009 05:08
what is the 6s program?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-28-2009 06:36
Hello Lazaro, could you possibly be referring to 6g? If not, could you include a bit more information about your question?
     If you are talking about 6g this is typically a description of a particular position in which a pipe test is given that allows the tester to qualify for all positions by using only a single weld coupon. The pipe's axis is set-up in a fixed position at a 45 degree angle and is welded without rotating it. The "6" refers to the position of the pipe, in other words the 45 degree angle. The "g" indicates that this is a groove weld either with or without backing depending upon the particular code or certification requirement. If I am completely off with this answer to your question please try to include some additional information so that everyone can possibly respond with the correct answer for you. Welcome to the forum and best regards, Allan
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 01-28-2009 14:22
Lazaro Torrado,
I believe this link is what you are looking for.

http://www.pharmanex.com/corp/pharmanews/6s.shtml
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-28-2009 14:37
Could it be Six Sigma?
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-28-2009 15:00
thats my guess.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-28-2009 16:46
Wow!
Lotta info on the responses for not much info on the question.
I never even heard of 6S.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-30-2009 06:43
six sigma or 6s, is Quality control philosophy in which you are trying to reduce process variance to levels higher than 6 sigma.  Sigma, in the statistical world is a way to measure standard deviation from a mean, six sigma would be no more than 1 defect per 1.37 million parts, if my memory serves me correct. something like .00013% rejected parts.
It's very big in japan and other high volume manufacturers such as automotive suppliers and hardware manufacturers, in which process variation is a bad thing. All engineering managers always talk about lean-manufacturing and six sigma.

In reference to welding it's generally only used in robotic applications or on consumable materials such as filler.  Generally not used in too many manual fabrication projects such as welding because most welding outfits don't have a "tight" enough system to generate accurate or useful statistical data. OR don't make the effort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Sigma

I've used it, but it's not my favourite quality control philosophy.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-30-2009 14:43
I would think it would be tough to get only 1 defect in 1.37 mil parts when doing manual or semi auto welding processes. I can see where it would be applicable to robotics a parts of extremely high dimensional repeatability. Which isn't pipe.
Good info.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-30-2009 14:53
that's nonsense, ask any superstar welder and they'll all say they've never blown an x-ray or failed a test, and if they did it wasn't their fault :)

my number was a little off six sigma is 0.0003% defects or 3.4 defects per million parts. Still a lofty target for most manufacturers to meet. Basically in order to reach six sigma if the tolerance is say +-10 units, you have to be able to reduce variation to only 2-3 units so that you are well inside the tolerances
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-31-2009 04:29
   In the '80s the auto frame plant tried "statistacle quality control" the idea that by tracking trends in part deviations, repairs could be made before the parts were out of tolerence. The idea was that trying to maintain everything well enough make all the parts "perfect" was a waste of time. Making as many parts within  tolerance between repairs was the goal.

This was one of those things that worked better in theory than practice.

Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-31-2009 20:09
true, but really quality is a culture that has to take place at all levels of a company to work.
This is one of the reasons the japanese auto manufacturers and parts suppliers beat domestic auto, they have a much higher commitment to quality and they have facilities that can run at  6 sigma. This overall quality effort means japanese cars have dominated reliability charts in recent years.

American automotive parts suppliers have lost contracts for Japanese auto companies for having over 10 defective parts per million pieces.

every quality system has to be designed around the product and customer, sometimes it is cheaper to produce 10 parts and scrap one, then try to get all 10 perfect slowly.  Anyways I'm not a huge fan of statistical quality control because it's too easy to make the numbers dance and tell you what you want to hear. It can be a good tool to gather data or discover trends though
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / guidlines