Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / testing procedure
- - By randycrawford (*) Date 01-28-2009 16:29
Gentlemen can someone please tell me where and if it is stated in d1.1, or can provide me with the information on testing procedures concerning time restraints etc.. What I have got is the company is allowing people to take a 3G 1" plate test with flux core and allow them to keep taking the coupon apart and start over until they can acheive 100% penitration with no time restraints. Can you please guide me to the right info. or procedure to provide my company with, as the inspector here this is stupid to me.Thank you.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-28-2009 16:38
4.32 RETEST
Parent - By bamaCWI (**) Date 01-28-2009 18:57
Is the company using this as training weldments? I am currently in the same situation. I have been allowing the welders to weld coupons, cut 1" from each end to identify where they need improvement within their technique. After they achieve a good specimen, then they will actually retest.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-29-2009 13:43
If you are doing this in house then you can basically retest them as many times as you want because you can call it training.  D1.1 states that you can test twice and if you fail the second time then you have to show proof of training in the area of testing before you can test a 3rd time.  If you are giving the test, you can be the trainer before the third test.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-29-2009 23:57
D1.1 2006 4.32.1.1 gives specific details of the requirements to allow a welder the "immediate retest" option.
To allow a welder unlimited access to the test booth and coupons is NOT a test. Keep on doing it until you accidentally get one right is not to code. Period! Which is probably why AWS in their infinite wisdom threw in the "two welds of each type and position". It is my opinoin that they are also taking into account the fact that any welder can have a bad day or problems on the test due to any number of factors. So they allow the weldor to prove that he is truly skilled enough by doing it twice in a row and getting it RIGHT both times.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-30-2009 02:32
I was just saying that after busting out twice one could keep practicing in the plant and wouldn't have to show documentation of training because you witnessed him doing it right there.  Then stamp 2 sets of coupons for the retest and those will be the ones that go to the bend tester or whatever.  This would be most realistic for a person that is already employed in the place that he needs to be tested at.  For example, you have a tack welder that wants to move up to a pipe welder or something.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 01-30-2009 12:01 Edited 01-30-2009 18:54
It's definitely a problem.

I obtain 100 referrals from the state jobs bank.  Of which two or three people can weld, but not pass a test.  We hire them.  They should be tacking and learning and advancing, until we get busy.  Then they're actually welding on parts and we "monitor" them.  (Actually our customers monitor them by rejecting their parts for missing welds and other defects.)

When we're slow, we test.  They can't pass.  I order more material.  I have samples of what I need them to weld to pass the test.  I've made Power Point presentations that show defects, and their causes.  I make them watch me weld a test.  They can't pass.  I tell my boss.

He says my "expectations" are too high.

I'd say that more than half of our welders are qualified.  The rest are "training."  Paid training.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / testing procedure