Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 3G test
- - By Jriley1972 (*) Date 01-28-2009 16:31
I have gotten some good advice on this site and I've learned a lot by just reading what you guys talk about. A while back I posted asking some advice about what I should do about some very questionable things that are going on here at the company I am currently working for.  Now everyone knows the economy sucks and I haven't found something better so I'm just making do and trying to help get this place a little more up to speed.  I have had to write a procedure on how the welder's must take there 3G test and what is expected out of them.  Now I have had to teach myself how to write PQR's and WPS's.  I think I did an ok job writing out the test procedure word for word step by step.  But my question is this... Is there anywhere stating anything about a time limit on how long it should be to complete a 3g, 1" Fillet plate test.  If there is; does it state it anywhere in the D1.1 book.  I appreciate anyone's advice and if it wouldn't be too much to ask would anyone volunteer to look over my written procedure and give me some constructive criticism.  Thanks for any advise John.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2009 18:40
I know of no welding standard that places time limits on a welder qualification test.

As an employer; I would consider a time limitation simply because the test is a good indication of the welder's ability and work habits. If it takes him an inordinate time to set-up and weld out the test coupon you can pretty well imagine that is how he's going to perform on the production floor.

As a second issue, what the heck is a 1 inch fillet plate test?

The fillet break tests I am familiar with are performed using 1/2 inch thick plate, not 1 inch.

The actual arc time is less than a half hour for SMAW including chipping slag and wire brushing the bead. Set-up time; may-be fifteen minutes if all his tools and clamps, etc. are on the bench and he doesn't have to search the shop high and low for the basic tools needed. Maybe another 15 minutes to explain what has to be done, what is permitted, etc. All-in-all, maybe an hour should be ample time to set-up and weld the test piece.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-28-2009 18:53
Hi John,

"3G" is not a fillet weld test.(see AWS D1.1:2008 Figure 4.5 for fillet weld tests on plate, and see Figure 4.3 for groove welds on plate) "3G" is a verticle position groove weld test. "3F" would be a fillet weld test taken in the verticle position and usually with 1/2" material as Al stated. You can email your procedure to me if you would like my opinion on what you have. jwright650@aol.com
Parent - By Jriley1972 (*) Date 01-28-2009 21:19
Sorry guy, yes its a groove test... I had way to much coffee this morning and wqas moving way to fast not to metion tring to type these questions... bu they thank you for the advise.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 3G test