Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Is a CWI capable of inspecting stainless steel welding?
- - By contactmerv Date 01-28-2009 20:10
Quest: Can a CWI review stainless steel or sheet steel welding or do they have to be trained in D1.6 or D1.3? Answer: It is my understanding that the training a CWI receives enables him/her to be eligible to 1.) recognize and or interpret whether or not a welding process is prequalified or requires qualification, 2.) verify that the welding process (from start to finish) is performed within the parameters established a prequalified welding procedure specification (WPS) or that which is established as a result of qualifying a welding procedure, 3.) is capable of visually inspecting a welded assembly by using appropriate tools, techniques and interpreting the weld within the parameters established in the acceptance/ rejection criteria  provided by the correct reference standard (in the case of stainless steel AWS D1.6).
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 01-28-2009 20:42 Edited 01-28-2009 20:46
Good question.

I have a few Codes.

AWS D1.6, 2007, 6.2.1 "The inspector shall be an AWS Certified Welding Inspector..."
AWS D1.2, 2003, 5.1.3 "Current or previous certification as an AWS Certified Welding Inspector..."
AWS D17.1, 2001, 6.1.2 "Personnel preforming visual inspections shall be certified to the requirements of AWS QC1, AWS QC2, or by experience, training, and testing...by the Engineering Authority.
AWS D1.3, 1998, 6.2.1 "The Inspector shall confirm that qualified or pre-qualified WPSs and qualified welders shall be used..."
AWS D1.1, 2008, 6.1.4.1 ""Current or previous certification as an AWS Certified Welding Inspector..."

Their all AWS Codes, but their all a little different.  I looked up inspector qualification requirements under Inspection in each of the Codes.  D1.1 and D1.2 say that an AWS CWI may inspect their parts.  You don't even have to be "current."  Simply at some point in your life, you passed the test.  Further, it says that if you have your customers approval, you don't even have to be an AWS CWI to use the Code!

D1.3 gives no requirements for the Inspector.

You don't need to be an AWS CWI to understand what a bad weld looks like.  Even a CWI can be wrong (how many CWIs recieved 100% on every test ever taken?)

The AWS CWI should satisfy most customer requirements, but not all. 

Keith
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-28-2009 21:53
Lets be clear

A CWI *should* be able to review procedures and workmanship in complience with a welding code... Could be AWS (AWS has many codes),  Could be ASME, Could be Mill Spec..   A CWI exam demonstrates that a person can navigate code.

The code excerpts above are partial. Don't make judgement unless you have the codebook in hand yourself!

D1.6  6.2.1 (3)  also says: "The inspector shall be an engineer or technician
who, by training and experience in metal fabrication, inspection and testing,
is acceptable to the engineer".

The above posting that mentions D1.6   6.2.1 (1) could be misinterpreted, (if you only read the excerpt) leading somebody to conclude that to inspect D1.6 workmanship an inspector must be a CWI... This is not the case.   This is why it is critical that people involved with code projects have the codebook in hand.

The answer to your question is  Yes... A CWI may review welding to a large variety of codes  You mentioned D1.6 and D1.3... Yes they may review doccuments and workmanship for compliance to those codes.

Not every CWI is experienced in procedure qualification, which is always complicated, often very complex.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2009 22:45
The open book code examination is a demonstration of the CWI's ability to use a code. It demonstrates the inspector's ability to navigate the code to find answers to specific questions. Some customers insist that the CWI pass specific open book examinations before allowing them to work on their projects. Various DOTs have a requirement that the CWI has to pass either the D1.1 or D1.5 open book examination. They will not accept any other. That isn't to say all DOTs from all 50 states have the same requirement.

The endorsements now allows a CWI that took an open book examination using something other than that required by their customer (or employer) to take only the open book examination needed to satisfy their customer's requirements. Prior to the endorsements, the CWI had to take all three parts of the CWI examination in order to take the additional open book examination. That's what I had to do back in the early "90's".

There's a difference between using a code, i.e., looking up information, and interpreting the code when there's is a disagreement on the intent or meaning of a clause in the code. Official, i.e., binding interpretations, can only come from the appropriate code committee, not the CWI or the SCWI.

I agree with Lawrence's stance that the user of a code should have it in their hands and read all the applicable clauses, including footnotes, etc., before taking a position.

When an inspector says, "The code says XXXXXXXX." without the code in hand, I usually take the position that it doesn't say it exactly like he stated. I don't pay for many hot teas. I let the experts pay.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-30-2009 06:54
I work with D1.6 and D1.3 exlusively (stainless sheet metal fab, light structural). They are both thin code books, not much to test to IMO.  A CWI versed in D1.1 would have no trouble navigating 1.3 or 1.6 as they are mostly derrived from 1.1 or just expansion on subjects not fully covered in 1.1
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Is a CWI capable of inspecting stainless steel welding?