Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Can I braze stainless steel?
- - By Lynn Date 12-21-2001 00:23
I need to join some about 18 gauge stainless. It was salvaged from a restaurant stove hood but I don't know the type of stainless. I only have a oxyacetylene rig and stick welders. Will brazing work?

Thanks. Lynn.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-21-2001 13:07
It is possible to braze, using pure silver filler metal and special flux, and it is also possible to stick weld using a small diameter stainless rod, BUT.... Both processes, especially on 18 gauge, are very difficult to join without the finished project looking like crap. You'll have problems with blow throughs, incomplete fusion, warpage, and slag removal. The last time I tried to braze stainless, I stomped away so frustrated that I swore I'd never do it again...that was 15 years ago...
Unless you are a First class, A #1 top notch Welder with a lot of patience, I recommend an alternative, such as pop-rivits.
Good Luck!!
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 12-21-2001 13:53
You can Silver Solder with no problem, I suggest you use 50N Silver Solder for high temp applications, see your local welding supply for solder and flux (black flux)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Can I braze stainless steel?