Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / I luv dem Mississippi fitters
- - By dlmann (**) Date 01-29-2009 16:33
During an inspection trip to Mississippi I watched as the fitters were having a hard time putting this complex shaped piece together.  You know the deal, all the pieces show up on a pallet at their work station and they are expected to do their magic.  Well they decided to hook up with their buddy on the CAD and they printed out all the pieces on paper and made a model of this duct assembly piece.  Problem solved, piece fitted, tacked and QC'ed in a few hours. 
Attachment: 623951041of6views.JPG (204k)
Attachment: 623951043of6views.JPG (160k)
Attachment: 62395104model.JPG (134k)
Attachment: 62395104model2.JPG (159k)
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-29-2009 20:50
Hello Donnie, thanks for including this particular posting on the forum. Oddly enough, the project that I included on here from my Christmas break was prefaced in a similar manner and certainly helped with "seeing" the project come together. The fella who designed and drew up the drawings brought a cardboard model out into the shop to provide an idea of the concept in the same manner as the pictures that you included on here.
     For many, seeing the 2-dimensional picture of a weldment or fabrication come to it's 3-dimensional finished shape can be difficult. It's great to see the "office" portion of the trade step-up and get in with the "shop" folks to provide some help and understanding as well as possibly contributing to the "team" part of what makes a successful project. Once again, thanks for including this post and reminding me of this very important portion of the trade. I plan on sharing these pictures with the folks in my fabrication class as an example of "real world" applications. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / I luv dem Mississippi fitters