Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / how to join a union?
- - By justin cobb Date 01-30-2009 02:42
Hello everyone, this is my first post I Am currently in welding school this is my last semester i am from north louisiana, I have worked on some shutdown jobs mostly in oil refinerys after i got out of high school as a helper and as a boilermaker i decided a while back to go to welding school t o learn to weld because i have always loved welding and every thing about it, my question is about joining a union. just about everyone i talk to says to get into a union and stay in it. i would apreciate any advice on how to go about getting into a union and what are some unions to join. I have heard of the IBB, pipefitters union and 798, but how do you get into these unions and wouldd it be a good idea? thanks
Parent - By LINCOLNCHIC (**) Date 01-30-2009 03:16
My uncle has been in 798 FOREVER ...Told my old man it has held him back from Alot~~ IDK, we know alot of ppl in the 798.. Hard to say.. But i know you have to go to OK.. I think OKC, to test your books $2500. again I think.. From what i understand if youe in good you can work most of the time.. My Uncle just told my old man this week 798 got miles an miles of pipe on hold right now.... But he stays workin, been welding i know 30 plus yrs..And been 798 as long as i can remember... Ur choice, we said NO THANKS~~
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-30-2009 06:21
find the local union hall and ask around and find an application.  If you make it in, you'll be in the apprenticeship for 2 years.  Some people prefer union, some don't.  I couldn't vote one way or another I'm now the engineering side, but to my vague understanding union is slightly more stable and is allows you to find a network of jobs all over the country.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-30-2009 13:16
Look up the Pipefitters, Boilermakers, or Ironworkers unions in your area and head down there to their Union hall.  Go in and talk to the buisness manager if he's not out playing golf and show your interest.  Some halls are different, you might not be able to go right to the buisness manager. You might be asked to fill out an application and be asked to show up for some kind of test.  I know lots of union halls are hurting for welders right now in this day and age so nows the time to get in.  GOod luck!
Parent - By okwelder82 (***) Date 01-30-2009 14:05
The Union hall For 798 is in Tulsa,OK. I had a friend that went and took there weld test about 3 weeks ago and they told him they had over 500 guys on the bench waiting for work. Sounds like they are being affected by it just like everyone else.
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 01-30-2009 14:34
The pipe fitters union up here requires a 5 year aprenticeship.  Between that and most of their guys spend more time on the bench than working because there is no work for them up here made me stay away.
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 01-31-2009 01:19
Your skill level, attendance and work ethics will determine if you ride the bench or stay working out of your local union. If your willing to travel you'll only be out of work if you choose to be.
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 02-01-2009 00:19
wrong
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-01-2009 03:48 Edited 02-01-2009 03:54
I agree with that !!!!!! WRONG I belonged to the union Ironworkers as an active member for over 15 years. What a crock of sh*% they feed you. The ONLY good thing they had was insurance. I now make ALOT more money than they EVER offered or "negotiated" for me and trust me, Insurance doesnt cost that much. And if you are are in a Union in the northern states I feel sorry for you. They are as crooked as they come. Work ethics and attendance has NOTHING to do with it. It has to do with how much as# kissing you do to the B.A. at the hall. And that is said from being a Boomer on the Road in St Louis and Chicago Unions are not for me and I wouldnt recommend them to anyone There are to many programs that are just as good to learn from. As far as how to join a union.... thats easy, just find out which bar the B.A or the B.M goes to, Buy them a couple of drinks then BUY a book and overnight you are a member and working. Just dont forget to keep paying them under the table.
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 02-01-2009 04:03
Too bad it didn't work for you guys. I spent 8 years working with a bunch of "multi-craft" dope heads and goof balls when I worked non-union. Throw a torpedo in your pocket and call yourself a pipe fitter. I've worked union for almost 10 years now and no regrets. Never kissed an ass and been all over the country and worked with way more knowledgeable and proffessional craftsman. Made plenty of money last year with insurance, pension AND an annuity.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 02-01-2009 14:10 Edited 02-01-2009 17:29
Cactus,   Anybody thats" observant" and follows the money they are making knows whats going on. I send a check to a few different halls every month for the bennies and its almost always for just two/three guys working forties for the month and the check is always 25,000.00 to 40,000.00. I know medical ins. is expensive but come on, I purchase it for the shop crew and my family and it's not that much, also the "retirement" funds are on the govt. watch lists in yellow or red alerts. Had my pusher that worked his last 10 yrs. for me retire ,kept moving the number of hrs. needed every year finally after three yrs. had to go on med. disability and 75% retirement.  The I.W. union on L.I. gets 50.00/per man hr. to the hall and the mans envelope is 30.00/per hr. (hows this fair?). Also you have to get "permission "from the hall before you can bring your own pusher to run the job.( I thought it was supposed to be a BROTHERHOOD and the benny money for that man "STAYS in LI . and doesn't follow the man") The only people with a better "setup" for getting money is the government. IMO.   Thats 2 places that amaze me of how most people give away, way to much money and don't get upset with the situation. If they first recieved all their money and then disbursed it,well it would be a different story.  OH WELL one good thing STEELERS get to go bird hunting today. Almost feel sorry for the WIZ and Russ Grimm being former STEELERS and all. Must be depressing not having a good football team down there.LOL.    PS GO STEELERS AND PENS.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-01-2009 15:38
I am all to aware of what goes on ( At least in the IW) I have been an ironworker as well as a contractor who was signatory with them. I have been strong armed more than once. And always in the North. Their pusher, Their steward, their % of the hand picked guys from their hall. And all of the rest of the BS that goes with it. BROTHERHOOD ? Bullsh#@. !! Its a brotherhood as long as they get their way.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 02-01-2009 18:06
Cactus, When I first started working union jobs I'd call the hall for guys , on about the fourth man that came out, finally I was informed,"DON'T CALL THE HALL ANYMORE CAUSE YOU WILL ALWAYS GET HOSED". After that I always called that man back ,made him my pusher and let him hire his own crew ALWAYS made me money.Over the years was able to spot more guys that wanted to push and keep a "valued list" of them. (my wife makes fun of me, keeping a list like santa clause of whose naughty and nice) EVERY time I have complained to a BA about the hall sending me TURDS I get a standard answer" YOU HAVE TO PAY YOUR DUES IN THIS BUSINESS BEFORE YOU GET TOP DOG GUYS" what? . Just send me guys that can do the job and will work the whole shift. Had 1 guy put on as stewart ,NEVER welded in his whole career ,worked duration of whole job (9 mon.) constantly late or MIA on job .(was BA's son's running buddy) When I saw his W-2 from me for around 40,000.00 I was very sick. What a wast of my money.
Parent - - By JohnJohn (**) Date 02-01-2009 18:33
When I worked for Derr, we could never satisfy the 30% rule for out of town hands when working up north or east, we always had more because they could'nt work for us. They hated us from Texas because we worked "eight for eight". I experienced some politics around here(263), but always had plenty of work because of my work ethics. For the short time I worked out of the hall, I was a Foreman for every outfit I worked for. My BA would give me a job tomorrow if I jumped back into it. Some of the best hands I worked with were from your local.

JohnJohn
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-02-2009 00:00
I worked for Derr I broke out with Danny Isbell, Manuel Hernandez ,Art Paul, Chick Nutt and a few others. I worked with all those guys when I first started for AB
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-02-2009 00:01
Our local had some good hands. It was the BA & BM that were the CROOKS. And that turned out to be Most everywhere.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-02-2009 01:51
Justin,

How it went for me. Called the local Pipefitters in Nashville. They said, come fill out an application....it'll cost you $25.00(huh??) So, I drove 70 miles or more to the union hall, don't take card, cash only. Find atm, get $30 plus 2-3 for bank charge. Go back, fill out app. Gave it to the secretary lady. Ok, she says, we'll be in touch. Ok. Several weeks later got a phone call. We need you to take a test at the career center in Nashville. 3 tests plus a 4th that the Pipefitters requires. Seems like the first two dealt with reading, reading a passage and answering questions. The 3rd test was basic math, calculations and so on. The 4th test was applied math, more stuff about George has a driveway that is 70 feet long, it's been dug out 6", 10 feet wide and he has a 1/2 ton pickup, how many loads of stone will his driveway require if his pickup has a capacity of 1500 pounds. I skipped that one, figured the idiot just needed to call a dump truck.....

Anyhow, got my grades for the tests. The administrator tells me I have one of the highest scores he has ever seen, great for my ego, but not bragging, just something to remember later on in my novel here. I call the Union hall, tell the secretary that I have passed the tests. Ok, we'll be in touch. Time goes by. I get a call out of the blue. We're doing interviews on this day at 4pm. Ok, I'll be there. I get up to the UH and people are swarming like flies to a turd. I go inside, tell secretary lady that I'm here, ok we'll call you when their ready. Ok. I go outside and stand in the hallway. Now, I'm not knockin' folks, lots of people applying doing factory work, been doing factory work. Then they get to talking about their test scores, something I just listened to. I got Gold on all my tests, all that I heard had bronze, silvers and mayber 1 gold, but most bronze and silver. Again, I think, wow, my experience has paid off, learned alot. Again, not gloating.

As I stand there watching folks go into the 4 interview rooms I notice that they are only in there for about 3-5 minutes, almost thought they had rotating doors as quick as they went in and out. So, I'm checking out the pipe they had on a table near the entrance, looking at the welds. A guy, important I assume, asked me if I welded. I told him yes and he said, who you work for. I said, me. Oh, have your own business? Yep. So I finally get called into the room. 3 guys in there explain how it works, they ask questions, I answer. So, about 20 minutes later I come out. Talked to them about money and how I'm not your average factory worker that has no clue. Been around cribbing/rigging, rollin' in mud, working amazinly long days and so on. It was determined that $11 an hour to start.....which means I'd be gone from home working, without the ability to do side jobs to bring in extra income.....and we starve. They said they'd call me, don't quit your job cause it may be awhile...or not.

Soooo, a few weeks later I get a call. You ready to go to work?? Ahhhh, well.....ummmmm?? How much per hour?? $11    long silence on my end.....well, I told him. I talked to the interview guys and at $11 an hour I'll likely starve, not that we have a lavish high end lifestyle cause we don't. Can't remember the last time we rented videos or did anything outside of the house for the lack of funds. He said, well it's good stable work and after 3 years you'll be getting paid better. Yeah, if I ain't living under the east street bridge in my new sony big screen box...is what I told him. I told him I'd have to think about it.

My first call was to my Uncle. Well versed in the industry. Told him what they were offering, he said, "you f----in' kiddin me?" I said nope, told them everything I've done, metal work, welding the works, made no difference. Not expecting journeyman pay but $16 would have got me in. Finally my Uncle says, h-ll with them, do your own thing, has faith in me that I will succeed and has respect for what I'm doing trying to run my own biz...that lifted my spirits. He finally said, you know what, I gotta let you go, this is making me so mad just thinking about it(he worked 25 years for the boilermakers..said he would'nt do it again), he then says, and this was funny. "you know what call that guy back and tell him no thanks, better yet give him my number and I'll finish him off for ya!"

So, sorry that was so long, but that is the process I went through to "get into the Union". If your 18 and fresh out of high school, go for it, 20 and fresh out of tech school, go for it. Older fart like me with obligations.......no thanks. I'm no pipewelder....yet, I've welded since 95', not professionally but have had my own machine in the shop since 98' and use it alot. Took me 3 plates to get my vertical up, 4 to get my unlimited overhead...that's because I was learning how to run the stringers evenly to it had a good clean level top. I've done 6 pieces of pipe and can nail my root......still working on de-uglying my cap. It don't take long for me to pick it up. I can mig....big deal and I know how tig works but still need work. So, $11 an hour without negotiation, heck, I asked if I could finish the apprenticeship early if I worked harder than anyone else, cause I know I can. No go on that either. As my Uncle said, just lookin for some jacklegs to come in an be laborers is what he thought.

It's your call, local Ironworkers here said they had 70 folks benched about a two weeks ago.

Ok, done now, sorry again.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 02-02-2009 02:21
Obama's going to fix all that.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-02-2009 05:40
from what I heard on the news all the pork that was not supposed to be in the bill......is in the bill.......insert smiley hitting self with hammer here.
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 02-02-2009 16:05
I didn't think Muslems liked pork.
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 02-03-2009 06:56
It's a personal choice. I joined and am really glad I did, but you might not. If you do, BE PREPARED TO TRAVEL!! There's alot of hands that don't want to be gone from home much so they piss an moan bout being on the road. You're not always gonna have work in your home local, that's just the trade. I tell people to get into the UA because you can do process piping or pipeline and you don't have to be in 798 to get out on a pipeline job. There's locals that still have their pipeline jurisdiction and you usually have a good chance getting out with them since they usually don't have a bunch of rig hands like 798 does. Boilermakers is another good one. They got a great retirement, just have to be in some pretty crappy places. Ironworkers, I don't know much about.

Politics is just part of it. Union or non-union, you're always gonna have the a$$ kissers and some shady crap goin on behind the scenes. Some locals have their lil slush funds but when you're bringin home 2-3000 a week plus bennies, the 20 you pay to the kitty aint that bad. Just my opinion.

Since you have a lil experience, It'll help you on your apprenticeship credits. The welding tests are usually a 2" sch. 120 6010/7018 and a 2" sch. 40 309 tig. I think each test gives like 1 or 1 1/2 years credit to your apprenticeship too if you pass them. So if you make both tests and can show some years of experience, you'll start out as a jouneyman more than likely but each local is a lil different on their standards.

Since you're from LA, I'd suggest you talk to Local 198 in Baton Rouge. There are alot of good hands I know out of that local and they usually got work or can get you on some if they don't. Another local is 430 in Tulsa, OK which is the local I'm out of. It's a suitcase local but I like the traveling. Monroe and Shreveport also have locals. I don't know the #s of them but they'd be worth a look to. I aint gonna tell you that you're always gonna have a job but nobody can. Hope this helps a lil.
Parent - - By ApprenticePipe Date 02-03-2009 22:58
I've joined the local 421 and here's the deal with them. They've taken $25 as a processing fee for my paperwork, but I don't have to pay the $90 initiation fee until I have my first job through them. However, I am not a member of the Union until I pay this $90 fee. And now they're telling me I can't get a job with them till I pay the initiation fee and am a member of the Union. I already went through tech school and received my certifications through them. The Union knows this. I'm confused right now and frustrated by how difficult it is to find a group of guys whom you can work and learn your trade with. Seems like the best way to go is to already have a family member somewhere higher up in the business or trade.
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 02-03-2009 23:42
That sounds wierd. When I joined, I paid my initiation fee and 6 months dues an could take any job that they had a call for. I'd talk to 421's organizer or the business manager and try to find out the whole deal. That, or I'd just give them the $90 initiation fee and start having them look for a job. I'm wanting to say that yall have work at the BMW plant and there's supposed to be a new unit added to the Sumner nuke plant in your jurisdiction too. Also, make sure that you get your travel card. Some locals won't let you travel into their local until you have been in for a year but 421 can probably works with some to where you can travel before getting the year in.
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 02-06-2009 14:33
Do yourself a favor, move from LA and move north where wages are higher and the COL isn't that much different.  Just remember if you join a union, work your @ss off, do the job right, and you'll find that you'll be on jobs much longer.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / how to join a union?