Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wrap around hood?
- - By mightymoe (**) Date 01-31-2009 16:12
could someone send me a pic,  or give me a brand name of a "wrap around welding hood"?
Parent - By rmkrider1 (**) Date 01-31-2009 17:54
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-31-2009 20:13
Hello mightymoe, are you possibly talking about a "sock hood"? They are the leather ones that completely cover the head. I believe all of the major "old school" hood manufacturers still make a version of them. Anchor, Huntsman, Jackson, etc. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 01-31-2009 20:40
there is some sock hoods on ebay pretty cheap
david
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 02-01-2009 02:24
Ugh! Sock hood, great memories there, gasp! can't breathe...... Hope thats not what your after mightymoe.
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 02-01-2009 15:03
Quick funny about sock hoods.  During my apprenticeship at PSNS (WA State) a fellow apprentice and I were working inside smoke stack on a destroyer.  He was working on a section that curved upward and was almost laying on his back up against the stack, while welding extreme vertical (almost overhead).  Due to the cramped space, we had to wear sock hoods, and any who have worn them know that the don't want to stay straight, especially when you are looking up.  To counteract, we would grab a bit of the hood in our teeth.  Well, the electrode swung around in the stinger and hit the nice wet spot on the outside of the hood and boy DID HE GET A JOLT!  No permanent damage, but the hootin' and hollerin' was unbelieveable.
Parent - By mightymoe (**) Date 02-02-2009 02:18
I had to wear a sock hood to get to a tight spot. It kept shifting and slipping. Very frustrating. I never thought of biting the leather to hold it in place. Glad that I didn't. thanx for the info.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-01-2009 20:23
If it is the pancake hood here is another site, http://www.wendyspancakes.net/index.htm

From my understanding and listening to the folks on here this is the place to get a pancake hood. I called them about 2 weeks ago and they were 5 weeks behind. Called this week and ordered one(after a molten slag missile in the ear) and they were 3 1/2- 4 weeks behind. Very reasonably priced and carry a good reputation.
Parent - By mightymoe (**) Date 02-02-2009 02:14
Thanks for the info. and links. I had heard about "wrap around hoods" and now I have a better idea of what they may be talking about.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wrap around hood?