Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / job experience questions
- - By sk8brbd110 (*) Date 02-02-2009 04:50
Im currently finishing up my welding diploma.  I feel confident in my welding.  Ive takin a couple of practice tests and did very well.  I just have one concern.  Ive never welded in an actual shop.  Welding 3"x6" or 3"x12" or more pieces of steel are one thing but an actual product is different.  Im currently a custom cabinet maker so i somewhat understand assembly and what not.  But metal is quite different from wood.  I have talked to one of my instructor and he has given me the go ahead to weld up projects instead of just a few pieces of steel.   The complicativeness of projects doesn not concern me for there i love challenges. I just have a couple questions a few of you could hopefully help me with.  What are a couple of things i should look for welding up several pieced weldments?(one of my projects is a high speed go cart 12 horse engine and a 3 speed transmission=hell of a good time).  What are a few joints that pose problems i should work on? and anything else i can make my projects complicated so i can learn the most?
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 02-06-2009 12:59
That's a big question!

Once you get a job welding, you'll come across a huge spectrum of joints and situations; usually you'll want to weld up the joints in the easiest way possible.  It's a hard one to answer in general as they vary from job to job.  What works on some projects, won't work on other projects.

The best way to make it challenging for yourself is to work on getting your measurements deadly (bang on!), your welds looking mint and the final product looking pro.  :)
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / job experience questions