Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT level I
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 02-03-2009 18:50
Can a NDT level I set up equipment and calibrate it to perform an NDT test?
MDK
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-03-2009 20:32
I believe that ASNT-TC-1A allows a level I to perform specific cal and accept/reject with specific instructions
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 02-03-2009 21:03
Like Hogan correctly stated from the SNT-TC-1A document,

"NDT Level I:  An NDT Level I individual should be qualified to properly perform specific calibrations, specific NDT, and specific evaluations for acceptance or rejection determinations according to written instructions and to record results."

However, check the employers written NDT practices and procedures since they may be different and more stringent. 
I would not find it out of line to see a company written NDT practice require a Level II tech to do all calibrations for example.
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 02-03-2009 23:51
Right , but the LVL II SNT-TC-1A document adresses "set up" and Calibration . (from memory)
but LVL I states only Calibration.
Im currently studing for my LVL III and im picking apart the document and was curious about the wording "set up"
Any1 see what im getting at?
MDK
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 02-04-2009 01:21
If it is permitted by your Written Practice and accepted by your customer then yes.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-04-2009 03:05
You need to get the tc1a interpretations and read them. That and other subjects have been covered.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 02-05-2009 03:44
SNT-TC-1A is a recommended practice. If the code you are working to references it then it becomes a requirement. However, it was written as a guideline to allow employers to write there written practices to meet their needs.
That's why I say if it is accepted by your client.

If it is a code requirement then, of course you have to follow it.
Parent - By michael kniolek (***) Date 02-05-2009 22:07
NDTIII
So once the employer and customer agree on a written practice , that document becomes mandatory and satisfies SNT-TC-1A requirement for code jobs. The written practice does not need to fulfill all of the recommended practices but should record deviations.
And once this practice is agreed upon it must be followed to the letter. correct.
if for some stupid reason the employer and customer agree on a written practice that requires experiance for LVL I to be 1 hour for PT of widdgets this would be acceptable? 
Parent - - By mroach (**) Date 02-05-2009 23:10
NDTIII, I just completed the ASNT level III basic last fall and I'm using the 2006 SNT-TC-1A. Section 4.3.1 NDT Level I states " An NDT Level I individual should be qualified to properly perform specific calibrations, specific NDT, and specific evaluations for the acceptance or rejection determinations according to written instructions and to record the results. The NDT Level I should receive the necessary instruction and supervision from a certified NDT Level II or III individual."  CP-189-2006 section 3.5, on the other hand, states " An NDT Level I shall have the skills and knowledge to properly perform specific calibrations, specific test, and with prior written approval of the NDT Level III, perform specific interpretations and evaluations for acceptance or rejection and document the results, in accordance with specific approved procedures. The NDT Level I shall be able to follow approved nondestructive testing procedures and shall receive the necessary guidance or supervision from a certified NDT Level II or NDT Level III individual. "  Pretty straight forward stuff.  The difference between the two documents simply comes down to "should" in the recommended practice and "shall" in the the standard practice.  The question I would have for mikeqc1 is simply, what do you have to comply to?  Knowing that will determine how you need to write your inhouse procedure. As NDTIII pointed out with reference to the SNT-TC-1A you can extract or delete what ever you need, but with CP-189 you will not have that levity.  This is an interesting topic with me because I work primarily with AWS D1.5 now and not with the MIL-SPECS I used to work with at the testing laboratory I formerly worked for.  Outside QA inspectors tend to frown on a Level I performing the test and invariably the definition of just what is "direct supervision" comes into the mix.     MR
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 02-05-2009 23:49
So when i see CP-189 in a contract i Know that they are requiring what is in the "Standard" practice and to be followd to the letter.
Now are they essentially the same except wording of should and shall .
and would I see snt-tc-1a and cp-189 both required is a different certification  required for each?
MDK
Parent - - By mroach (**) Date 02-06-2009 01:01
MK,   The trick is having both documents in front of you to see the differences. The power point presentation I had from the ASNT was extremely helpfull.  This might help clarifiy the two publications.  SNT-TC-1A 5.0 "Written Practice". 5.1 "The employer shall establish a written practice for the control and administration of NDT personnel training, examination and certification".  5.2 "The employer's written practice should describe the responsibility of each level of certification for determining the acceptability of materials or components in accordance with the applicable codes, standards, specifications and procedures."  In essence what this means is that to company A a written practice is only 1 page long however with company B it requires 50 pages.  It all depends on what the companies needs are.  Now with CP-189 5.2 "Procedure Requirements" "The procedure shall describe the minimum requirements for certifying personnel in each NDT method and the levels of qualification desired. The procedure shall satisfy the requirements of this standard. The procedure shall include as a minimum the following: a) personnel duties and responsibilities, b) training requirements, c) experience requirements, d) examination requirements, e) records and documentation requirements, including control, responsibility, and retention period, d) recertification requirements.  As you can see the CP-189 is a bit more specific on what details the in house procedure needs to have.  In the past, with the testing labs I worked for, the in house SNT-TC-1A written practice was written more to CP-189 to satisfy government contact work.  With the work I do now with bridge code the requirements of the SNT-TC-1A are not as detailed simply because they don't have to be.    MR
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 02-06-2009 01:38
very informative thank you.
MDK
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 02-08-2009 03:35
Thank you mroach. As  said SNT-TC-1A is a recommended practice. CP-189 is a standard. Therefore when CP-189 is referenced in the contract documents you cannot deviate. However with SNT-TC-1A you can unless the code references it and the code is either part of your operating license or madated by law.

The bottom line is that SNT-TC-1A was written to allow for employers to use it a a basis for their own written practice to meet their needs, whereas, CP-189 was written as a mandatory requirement.
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 02-08-2009 03:38
No your written practice should cover the standard that you work to. If you are working to SNT-TC-1A and a new contract references CP-189, I don't see a reason to recertify idividuals until it is time for them to recertify.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT level I