Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / U.T. Level II?
- - By pataterchip (**) Date 02-03-2009 20:00
Does anyone know of any training books that could serve as a substitute for taking the level I course? I need to get my U.T. certs but would rather study as much as I can at home. Then take the level II course to serve the training requirements and prep for the test.  
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 02-03-2009 20:53
There are a number of training products available for ultrasonic testing.  The ASNT website also sells training books, materials, training material on CDs, etc. 

To be considered for certification to level I or Level II the individual has to satisfy the employers requirements for provide documented training and work experience.  You have to look at the employers written certification program and see how the training requirements are detailed.  Also talk to the company Level III regarding any alternate training options. 

Do not take this the wrong way, because home study is great & much better than watching Family Guy on TV...but if the level III doesn't buy off on it as qualified training time, your time spent studying might not count towards the required training time.  (So check first before starting).

The SNT-TC-1A recommended practice book describes the qualification / certification process in detail and will give you the outline for the training course in each NDT method.
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 02-03-2009 21:13
I ordered a copy od SNT-TC-1A, and will review the requirments. As far as N.D.T personel are considered, does ASNT issue a certification card after meeting there requirements or is it completly the employers responsibility? I have had my CWI card for a little while now and I would like to further my education and experience I wanted to start with U.T. as I don't know a whole lot about it, we have a need for that where I currently work, and would like to be able to better comunicate with N.D.T tech's what would be the best way to do this?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-03-2009 22:48
Here is a link to a good resource.

http://www.ndt.net/ndtaz/ndtaz.php
Parent - - By Maxpayne575 (*) Date 02-05-2009 03:31
ASNT issues a card if you pass their ACCP level II or III exam(s) or their ASNT NDT Level III exam(s). In order to do that, you have to apply and be approved by them to take said exam(s).

It is the employers responsibility to certify NDT personnel, or to ensure that NDT personnel from an outside agency meet their requirements.

If you have zero UT experience, and you are not doing UT as part of your job, you will have a hard time getting the required experience to make it to level II. Do you have an NDT program at your employer now? The reason I ask is because you stated that "we have a need for that where I currently work" If there are no UT level II or III where you currently work, and no written practice, well....

As far as home study goes, section 7 of SNT-TC-1A recommends "sufficient organized training to become thoroughly familiar with the principles and practices of the specific NDT method"....etc. If your employers written practice follows this recommendation, you will not meet te requirement with home study.

For what it's worth, our written practice requires documented proof of training, and requires that the training include sufficient examinations to demonstrate that the necessary information has been comprehended.

Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 02-05-2009 17:33
We have a NDT program at our shop but only for PT & MT we have a II and a III for those methods. We have a need for UT for a commercial job we have, we currently use and outside vendor for that UT our customer and our QC manager audited them prior to adding them to our approved vendor list.
Basically it sounds like I will need to go through a level I class at a place like Hellier, then scrounge for time here and there. From the techs I have spoken to they have made it sound like a person can take and pass the level II test even though one doesn't have the hours of experience, Is that true?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-05-2009 17:43
A companies written practice will dictate what is required for certification with that company. Most are based on ASNT-TC-1A. I would never use a company with a "no hours required" practice. Nor would I respect the ability of the tech, never giving them a chance. Reputations are difficult to turn around.
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 02-05-2009 18:38
I should clarify, I was asking a question as to weather it is possible to take and pass the level II exam with out first having the hours of experience, and would still like to know if that is possible?
The company we use has been around 30 years is Lockheed flight hardware approved, has Northrop spar numbers for MT,PT,UT,RT, and visual they are a great company with very knowledgeable techs.

While one of them was out here what I asked him was if I went to Hellier and spent 2K on both there classes I & II then went and took the test if I would then be considered a Level II, just with absolutely no real world experience?
I know that would be next to worth less in the work place but lets say for giggles I was willing to lie on my resume and say I had ooooooo 1200 hours behind a scope could I get a job some where as a level II?
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 02-05-2009 19:00
i took my lvl I and II in PT two week course then took the lvl II test @ hellier.(i dont think that hellier Certifies you i think they recomend that you are able to be certified ACCORDING TO THE CO WRITTEN PRACTICE)
Back @ my shop i took another LVL II test (given by our LVLIII) got my experiance as per the CO written practice and became LVL II
Check the co written practice, after that experiance time is met , and u r tested by a LVL III i THINK  you are good to go.
Doese this sound right to eveyone?
MDK
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-05-2009 19:08 Edited 02-05-2009 19:21
I would have a hard time believing that this company is NADCAP certified ( a requirement for aerospace work ) with a written practice as you have mentioned. If you are willing to lie about your hours please stop wasting our time! That approach gets no help.
Not to mention violating you CWI code of ethics.
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 02-05-2009 20:45 Edited 02-09-2009 14:28
I in no way shape or form am willing to lie about anything, not now not ever. I take my position very seriously. My reason for posing a question like if someone was willing to lie, was simply to get a understanding of how the ASNT certifications work, i.e. what checks and balances are in place and how much weight being a level II has behind it. Second I did not say that this company HAS a no hour requirement, it was purely a hypothetical question about if a person can take and pass the ASNT test with no experience. In truth I do not know what this company's written procedure requires.
I do not see very many job listings calling for a level I. This is a good place to find out what exactly is involved in chasing a LVL II cert that is all.
The only experience I have with N.D.T is that gained during the inspection of my welding for the past 15 years, the information required in the CWI exam and in dealing with tech's from time to time in my CWI functions. It is something that I am just starting to explore for myself and am looking for strait forward answers from those that know, I was not looking for help in subverting anything.

I appreciate the answers from everyone on this topic, It appears to me that an ASNT cert is like a welding cert it will get you a interview and maybe a test. And you will be retested if you should change employers.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-06-2009 13:31
If UT is something that your company wants to perform in-house, then I would suggest to you that you get with the powers that be there and have them contact your current Level III (provided he is Level III UT also) and see if he can help your company get a written program/practice started and implemented. His experience will be very valuable to your company and this will answer all of your questions about the requirements of training and hands-on experience at your company. All of the UT classes(all Krautkramer classes, now it called GE Inspection Technologies) that I have attended all had two week courses back to back to provide the 80 hours of class room instruction. I elected to take Level I UT in 1999 and Level II UT almost a year later in 2000. This gave me enough experience as a Level I to make that second week of Level II training mean something to me and it made more sense. 
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 02-05-2009 18:20
If a person is being directly Qualified directly to LVL II with no time @ LVL I the required experience would be the sum of time required @ LVL I and LVLII  as well as training.
Now On the other hand from what ive been told and read, snt-tc-1a is a recommended practice (not mandatory) the training and experience is "recommended" but (I hope I have this right) a customer and employer can agree on a written practice that deviates from the recommendations of the document to fit specific needs.

I hope others will correct me if im wrong.(training on this myself).
MDK
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / U.T. Level II?